Sr. Software Engineer - Search Services
About The Opportunity
Hungry for a new venture?
Grubhub is the nation's leading online and mobile food ordering company, dedicated to connecting hungry diners with their favorite local restaurants. The people who work at Grubhub are our company's greatest asset; each person at Grubhub plays an integral part in building tools and technology that help restaurants succeed, and in cooking up fresh new ways to delight our diners.
The company’s online and mobile ordering platforms allow diners to order directly from more than 55,000 takeout restaurants in over 1,100 U.S. cities and London. The Grubhub portfolio of brands includes Grubhub, Seamless, AllMenus, and MenuPages.
We want you to enjoy where you work, who you work with and what you work on. At Grubhub, you can order your cake and eat it too!
We are looking for engineers to help us dramatically expand and improve our set of products while simultaneously supporting a massive increase in the capacity of our systems. We have been extremely picky about assembling a team of smart, humble people who are passionate about creating amazing products. We work in an agile manner and believe strongly that small cross-functional teams empowered to make decisions and move fast are the best way to do so. This is an unbeatable opportunity for developers who hope to work on and deliver world class software in a friendly, fun, and innovative environment.
Some Challenges You’ll Tackle
- Build low latency, high throughput RESTful services
- Contribute to the search platform, software frameworks and SDK’s
- Communicate with leadership, product owners, other technologists, and users to create working software based on an understanding of business and technical priorities
- Work closely with data scientists to apply new models to influence the Search Engine
- Build systems that integrate with many other real time data sources and services
- Optimize service runtime for performance and scale
You Should Have
- Bachelor’s Degree in Science, Programming or Engineering related field
- 5+ years experience building highly-scalable consumer-facing applications (e-commerce preferred)
- Solid programming experience on the JVM (Java/Scala)
- Experience with A/B testing tools and techniques
- Experience with scale and volume mobile backed systems
- Experience with API design and large scale distributed real-time systems
- Experience with Hadoop, Spark and other big data tools
- Experiencec with eventually consistent databases (Cassandra/MongoDB/CouchDB)
- Familiarity with Search Engines and SDK’s eg Lucene, Solr, Elasticsearch etc.
- Familiarity with Applied Machine Learning SDKs and tools, eg Stanford NLP, Deeplearning4j etc.
And Of Course, Perks!
- Unlimited paid vacation days. Choose how your time is spent
- Never go hungry! We provide weekly Grubhub/Seamless credit
- Regular in-office social events, including happy hours, wine tastings, karaoke, bingo with prizes and more
- Company-Wide Initiatives encouraging innovation, continuous learning and cross-department connections
We deliver favorites every day. Join us as we move eating forward.
Grubhub is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: DOL Poster. If you are applying for a job in the U.S. and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to TalentAcquisition@grubhub.com and let us know the nature of your request and contact information. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this e-mail address.
Meet Some of GrubHub's Employees
Senior Director, Acquisition Marketing
Steven uses every marketing tool from television to direct mail to display advertising to consistently acquire new customers—and drive GrubHub forward in the industry.
Back to top