Sr. Software Engineer - Search & Relevance
About The Opportunity
The Search Team at Grubhub helps our hungry diners find the perfect meal. Our services for Search service millions of requests per day and the teams works on the Infrastructure for Search as well as implementation of algorithms for Ranking and Relevance. If you're an engineer interested in making a significant impact on our product, this is the team for you!
Some Challenges You’ll Tackle
- Build low latency, high throughput RESTful services
- Contribute to the search platform, software frameworks and SDK’s
- Communicate with leadership, product owners, other technologists, and users to create working software based on an understanding of business and technical priorities
- Work closely with data scientists to apply new models to influence the Search Engine
- Build and utilize metrics for analyzing relevance and ranking
- Build systems that integrate with many other real time data sources and services
- Optimize service runtime for performance and scale
You Should Have
- Bachelor’s Degree in Science, Programming, or Engineering related field
- 6+ years experience with large scale distributed real-time systems, consumer-facing applications (e-commerce preferred)
- Solid programming experience on the JVM (Java/Scala) or similar modern object-oriented language
- Experience working with eventually consistent databases (Cassandra/MongoDB/CouchDB)
- Experience with A/B testing tools and techniques
- Experience with scale and volume mobile backed systems
- API design experience
- Experience with Hadoop, Spark and other big data tools
- Experience with Search Engines and SDK’s eg Lucene, Solr, Elasticsearch etc.
- Applied Machine Learning SDKs and tools, eg Stanford NLP, Deeplearning4j etc.
And Of Course, Perks!
- Unlimited paid vacation days. Choose how your time is spent
- Never go hungry! We provide weekly Grubhub/Seamless credit
- Regular in-office social events, including happy hours, wine tastings, karaoke, bingo with prizes and more
- Company-Wide Initiatives encouraging innovation, continuous learning and cross-department connections
We deliver favorites every day. Join us as we move eating forward.
Grubhub is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: DOL Poster. If you are applying for a job in the U.S. and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to TalentAcquisition@grubhub.com and let us know the nature of your request and contact information. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this e-mail address.
Meet Some of GrubHub's Employees
Senior Director, Acquisition Marketing
Steven uses every marketing tool from television to direct mail to display advertising to consistently acquire new customers—and drive Grubhub forward in the industry.
Back to top