Sr. Software Engineer / Platform Engineer
- New York, NY
Hey! We’re Grubhub
Hey! We’re Grubhub
We’re all about connecting hungry diners with our network of over 300,000 restaurants nationwide. Innovative technology, user-friendly platforms and streamlined delivery capabilities set us apart and make us an industry leader in the world of online food ordering. When you join our team, you become part of a community that works together to innovate, solve problems, grow, work hard and have a ton of fun in the process!
Why Work For Us
Grubhub is a place where authentically fun culture meets innovation and teamwork. We believe in empowering people and opening doors for new opportunities. If you’re looking for a place that values strong relationships, embraces diverse ideas–all while having fun together–Grubhub is the place for you!
Grubhub is looking for an innately curious, business-minded, results-oriented Senior Software Engineer / Platform Engineer with a focus on data intensive applications, specifically Kafka and other streaming applications. In this role you will build and deploy platform-level tools and applications that enable a variety of data products across the Grubhub enterprise. You will be working alongside other platform engineers to help the company improve its data products and analytics. Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to, development of streaming applications, problem solving, performance analysis, data model tooling (protobuf/avro/json-schema) and data pipeline tooling using cutting edge technologies on AWS.
The Impact You Will Make
- Understand the business! Work directly with application developers, data engineers and data analysts to address their needs.
- Build streaming data applications.
- Be a stakeholder for our data platform tools! Help guide and prioritize development of the tooling to enhance our capabilities.
- Help build a multi-datacenter, performant and highly available data platform and the frameworks to support it.
- Help build and support frameworks to interact with various cloud technologies.
- Actively contribute to the adoption of strong software architecture, the development of best practices, and new technologies. We are always improving the process of building software; we need you to help contribute
- Help train software developers and other technologists on using the data platform, software stack (e.g. Kafka, Presto, Spark) to build their product-specific applications.
- Relentlessly analyze and improve the performance of our systems.
What You Bring to the Table
- Bachelor’s Degree in Science, Programming or Engineering related field.
- 5+ years experience building highly-scalable, highly-available applications.
- Eexperience with Streaming technologies (Kafka, Beam, Flink, Spark).
- Expertise in Java, Scala, Python or a similar modern object-oriented language
- Ability to explain technical concepts in simple terms to business stakeholders
- Knowledge of or experience with developing distributed systems
- Experience with End-to-End (E2) testing frameworks
- Experience mentoring/coaching engineers along with overseeing the technical work of developers from other teams.
Got These? Even Better
- Experience designing and implementing multi-region streaming and data applications.
- Experience deploying data pipelines in a production environment
- Experience with distributed data and computing tools like Spark, Hive and Presto
- Experience using cloud infrastructure like AWS
And Of Course, Perks!
- Flexible PTO. Grubhub employees enjoy a generous amount of time to recharge.
- Health and Wellness. Excellent medical benefits, employee network groups and paid parental leave are just a few of our programs to support your overall well-being.
- Competitive Pay. You’ll receive a competitive base salary with eligibility for generous incentives, bonuses, commission or RSUs (role-specific).
- Learning and Career Growth. Your personal and professional development is a priority at Grubhub. We empower you to be a leader and grow your career through training, coaching and mentorship opportunities.
- MealPerks. Get meals on us! Our employees get a weekly Grubhub credit to enjoy and support local restaurants.
- Fun. Every Grubhub office has an employee-led Culture Crew that connects people through fun, meaningful events and initiatives like Wellness Wednesdays, Slack competitions and virtual happy hours!
- Social Impact. At Grubhub we believe in giving back through programs like the Grubhub Community Relief Fund and donating $1 million to the Equal Justice Initiative in 2020. Employees are also given paid time off each year to support the causes that are important to them.
- COVID-19 Response. All of our employees are currently working from home and will be for the foreseeable future. We look forward to seeing everyone in-office when it’s safe to return.
Grubhub is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome diversity and encourage a workplace that is just as diverse as the customers we serve. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. If you’re applying for a job in the U.S. and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an email to TalentAcquisition@grubhub.com and let us know the nature of your request and contact information. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
CA Privacy Notice: If you are a resident of the State of California and would like a copy of our CA privacy notice, please email email@example.com.
Back to top