Software Engineer - II
- New York, NY
About The Opportunity
Grubhub is the nation's leading online and mobile food ordering company, dedicated to connecting hungry diners with their favorite local restaurants. The people who work at Grubhub are our company's greatest asset; each person at Grubhub plays an integral part in building tools and technology that help restaurants succeed, and in cooking up fresh new ways to delight our diners.
The company’s online and mobile ordering platforms allow diners to order directly from more than 55,000 takeout restaurants in over 1,100 U.S. cities and London. The Grubhub portfolio of brands includes Grubhub, Seamless, AllMenus, and MenuPages.
We want you to enjoy where you work, who you work with and what you work on. At Grubhub, you can order your cake and eat it too!
An engineer in the cloud infrastructure team is responsible for building the frameworks and platform on which all of grubhub’s services are built and operate along with a number of key services. This team is at the core of implementing distributed, scalable system foundations and designing for 5 9’s uptime and horizontal scalability. Candidates in this space should have a strong desire to drive innovation by building feature rich, scalable systems that are conducive to evolution.
Work on the Java and scala frameworks all our services and their testing are built on as well as the services that comprise our platform on which services operate. This in includes our netty based traffic router and load balancer that sits between clients and all services handling millions of requests every day.
The Impact You Will Make
- Help build multi datacenter, performant and highly available services, and the frameworks to support them
- Use and help drive the building, requirements, and usage of a continuous delivery environment
- Help build and support frameworks to interact with various cloud technologies
- Communicate with leadership, product owners, other technologists, and users to create working software based on an understanding of business and technical priorities
- Actively contribute to the adoption of strong software architecture, development best practices, and new technologies. We are always improving the process of building software; we need you to help contribute
What You Bring to the Table
- Bachelor’s Degree in Science, Programming or Engineering related field
- 2+ years experience building highly-scalable consumer-facing applications (e-commerce preferred)
- Java, C#, or a similar modern object-oriented language
- Experience architecting, designing, and developing testable, fault tolerant, and performant software
- AWS experience, or similar cloud based offerings
- Automated testing experience applicable for services (junit/testing, mockito + jmeter/gatling.io)
- Strong fundamentals (data structures, algorithms)
- Familiarity or experience developing highly-available distributed systems (5x9’s uptime etc.)
- Interested in working for a fast paced tech and product oriented company
- Professional Cassandra experience
- Docker, or similar containerized solutions
- Mesos or Kubernetes
- Hot-hot multi data center distributed services
And Of Course, Perks!
- Flexible PTO. Grubhub employees are provided a generous amount of time to recharge their batteries.
- Health and Wellness. We provide programs that support your overall well-being such as generous medical benefits, employee network groups, company-wide fitness challenges, and a comfortable and casual workplace! We also support our parents by offering 8 weeks of paid parent bonding time, a 4-week returnship program, and 6-8 weeks paid medical leave.
- Learning and Career Growth. Your personal and professional development is a priority at Grubhub. From day one, we empower you to lead and be an active participant in your career growth. We provide continuous learning opportunities, training, and coaching and mentorship programs.
- MealPerks. Who’s ready for some lunch? We provide our employees with a weekly Grubhub credit to enjoy and support local restaurants. We also offer company-wide meals several times a year to bring our Grubhub family together.
- Fun. Every Grubhub office has an employee-led Culture Crew that connects people through fun, meaningful events and initiatives. Some of our popular past events include: Wing-eating contests, Grubtoberfest, 5k Runs, Bring Your Child to Work Day, regular happy hours, and more!
- Social Impact. We believe in the importance of serving the communities that support our business. In addition, employees are given paid time off each year to support the causes that are important to them.
Grubhub is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: DOL Poster. If you are applying for a job in the U.S. and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to TalentAcquisition@grubhub.com and let us know the nature of your request and contact information. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this e-mail address.
Back to top