Site Reliability - Software Engineer II
- Chicago, IL
About The Opportunity
Grubhub is dedicated to connecting hungry diners with our wide network of restaurants across the country. Our innovative technology, easy-to-use platforms and streamlined delivery capabilities make us an industry leader today, and in the future of online food ordering.
We strive to create a workplace that reflects the diversity of our customers and the communities we serve. When you join our team, you become part of a community that works together to innovate, solve problems, take risks, grow, work hard and have a ton of fun in the process!
Why Work For Us
We have a fast-paced environment and that is what our teams thrive on. Grubhub believes in empowering people and offering opportunities for development, as well as professional growth. We value strong, positive relationships in all areas: with each other, our customers and our greater community. Want to be a part of a team of diverse collaborators in an authentically fun culture? If so, we want to talk to you - and hear what’s your favorite restaurant for food delivery!
More About the Role
We are in need of additional software- and service-focused SREs to ensure reliable delivery of projects (and food!). Both Delivery and Restaurant SRE teams are looking for qualified candidates. SREs in the Delivery group focus on all services related to our driver network and logistics related to delivering food. They oversee how our delivery partners interact with our systems to accept new assignments and deliver your food, the services (and algorithms) which dispatch work to delivery-partners to maximize efficiency while ensuring on-time deliveries, how delivery partners are paid, and so much more! Restaurant SRE group ensures that restaurants reliably receive and confirm orders so they can prepare food on time. They also oversee all systems related to restaurant information, such as operating hours and menu items, and make sure that information is up to date and reliably propagated throughout our Grubhub marketplace. Both teams help design and build complex distributed systems at an incredible, highly available, multi-datacenter, scale.
Some Challenges You’ll Tackle
- Provide guidance and support during all phases of development around scalability, availability and performance
- Write lots of code (Python) to extend our deployment platform
- Be a subject matter expert on how the platform operates (service discovery, load balancing, monitoring/metrics, et cetera)
- Linux (Ubuntu and CentOS
You Should Have
- Being embedded within a Software Engineering team
- Writing testable code in Java and Python
- Experience building+maintaining REST/RPC APIs
- Highly available architecture
- Continuous delivery principles and practices
- Monitoring best practices
- Service discovery
- Load testing
- Public Cloud (AWS, Google or Azure)
- Linux (understand how things work under the hood)
Got These? Even Better:
- NoSQL (Cassandra)
- JVM performance tuning
- Highly trafficked web-based software engineering experience
- How Grubhub uses Docker to enable continuous delivery
- How Grubhub uses Elasticsearch
- How Grubhub guarantees critical microservice actions
And Of Course, Perks!
- Flexible PTO. Grubhub employees are provided a generous amount of time to recharge their batteries.
- Health and Wellness. We provide programs that support your overall well-being such as generous medical benefits, employee network groups, company-wide fitness challenges, and a comfortable and casual workplace! We also support our parents by offering 8 weeks of paid parent bonding time, a 4-week returnship program, and 6-8 weeks paid medical leave.
- Learning and Career Growth. Your personal and professional development is a priority at Grubhub. From day one, we empower you to lead and be an active participant in your career growth. We provide continuous learning opportunities, training, and coaching and mentorship programs.
- MealPerks. Who’s ready for some lunch? We provide our employees with a weekly Grubhub credit to enjoy and support local restaurants. We also offer company-wide meals several times a year to bring our Grubhub family together.
- Fun. Every Grubhub office has an employee-led Culture Crew that connects people through fun, meaningful events and initiatives. Some of our popular past events include: Wing-eating contests, Grubtoberfest, 5k Runs, Bring Your Child to Work Day, regular happy hours, and more!
- Social Impact. We believe in the importance of serving the communities that support our business. In addition, employees are given paid time off each year to support the causes that are important to them.
Grubhub is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: DOL Poster. If you are applying for a job in the U.S. and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to TalentAcquisition@grubhub.com and let us know the nature of your request and contact information. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
CA Privacy Notice: If you are a resident of the State of California and would like a copy of our CA privacy notice, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Back to top