Hey! We’re Grubhub
We're all about connecting hungry diners with our network of over 300,000 restaurants nationwide. User-friendly platforms and streamlined delivery capabilities set us apart in the world of online food ordering. Grubhub is a place where authentically fun culture meets innovation and teamwork. We believe in empowering people and opening doors for new opportunities. If you're looking for a place that values relationships, embraces diverse ideas–all while having fun together–then Grubhub is the place for you!
More About the Role
We are looking for service-focused SREs to ensure reliable delivery of projects (and food!). Delivery, E-Commerce, and Restaurant SRE teams are looking for qualified candidates. SREs in these verticals are embed within their Software Engineering counterparts and will co-own important application and service designs. We ensure that the bar of the software we're building is high, that Service Level Objectives (SLOs) are rigorously well-designed and achievable, and that we have all the telemetry we need to make informed decisions about how to grow our services.
The Impact You Will Make
- You will co-own important production service designs to provide a high bar of reliability is achievable and measurable.
- You'll increase reliability and observability improvements in the services within the vertical you are embedded. Using SLOs and other telemetry data, you'll help your team make informed decisions on where reliability challenges may exist and help develop solutions to improve them.
- You'll build internal tools and automation software to make maintaining production services easier and safer.
- You'll promote and lead reliability-focused practices such as Failure Analysis, Load and Capacity Planning, Service Reviews, Architecture Designs, Incident Postmortems, and others
- You'll be a subject matter expert on how the platform operates and a contact point for software engineers.
What You Bring to the Table
- Software Engineering experience: Python, Java, Go, or a similar object-oriented language
- Microservice Architecture and Application design experience
- Distributed monitoring experience: SLOs, metrics, tracing
- Working knowledge of Cloud technologies (AWS, GCP, Compute/Containers, Storage)
- Highly trafficked web-based service experience
- You will work with your team to monitor the health of the platform, which includes a 24/7 on-call rotation, to guarantee a great customer experience
About Our Tech:
- Tooling / Automation Code: Python
- Service Code: Java (Spring/Guice) REST / RPC
- Monitoring: Datadog, Splunk, Lightstep
- Cloud (AWS) Technologies: EC2, S3, ElastiCache (Redis/Memcache), Kinesis, Lambda
- Data Tech: Cassandra, ElasticSearch, Redis, Memcache, and Kafka
- Principles: Always hot+hot (N+1 datacenters, external providers), cache all the things, secure from the start, load / unit / functional tests for everything, measure everything (metrics)
And Of Course, Perks!
- Flexible PTO/PTO. Grubhub employees enjoy a generous amount of time to recharge.
- Health and Wellness. Excellent medical, dental and vision benefits, 401k matching, employee network groups and paid parental leave are just a few of our programs to support your overall well-being.
- Compensation. You'll receive a great compensation package with eligibility for generous incentives, bonuses, commission, or RSUs (role-specific).
- Free Meals. Our employees get a weekly Grubhub credit to enjoy and support local restaurants.
- Social Impact. We believe in giving back through programs like the Grubhub Community Relief Fund, and provide our employees opportunities to support causes that are important to them.
Vaccination Requirement: Grubhub employees are required to be fully vaccinated. You must confirm vaccination status at time of hire, and must provide proof of full-Covid-19 vaccination within 2 weeks of starting employment. Fully vaccinated is defined as: "2 weeks have passed since your second dose in a 2-dose series, such as the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines, or 2 weeks after a single-dose vaccine, such as Johnson & Johnson's vaccine.
Grubhub is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome diversity and encourage a workplace that is just as diverse as the customers we serve. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. If you're applying for a job in the U.S. and need an accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an email to TalentAcquisition@grubhub.com and let us know the nature of your request and contact information.
CA Privacy Notice: If you are a resident of the State of California and would like a copy of our CA privacy notice, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.