Senior Software Engineer - Delivery
- Chicago, IL
About The Opportunity
Here at Grubhub we’ve been dedicated to giving diners the most convenient way to order food from their favorite restaurants (whether that’s a late night Chalupa from Taco Bell or a salad for lunch from a local restaurant the day after they enjoyed said late night Chalupa).
While we are food-obsessed, we are also customer-obsessed. We look to constantly innovate our technology so our diners’ food experience is memorable, restaurant owners get more business and individuals across the country looking for work can deliver the food from the restaurant to the diner flawlessly. We take great pride in knowing that we are a part of 23.2 million diners food ordering experience and we feature 300,000 restaurants in 2,700 US cities across our suite of apps (Grubhub, LevelUp, Seamless, Tapingo, AllMenus and MenuPages).
Want to be a part of the biggest movement in the US that is moving eating forward? If so, we want to talk to you - and hear what’s your favorite restaurant for food delivery!
Grubhub is looking for a Senior Software Engineer for our Timing and Estimation team. This team builds & maintains the systems that provide ETAs for diners, drivers, and restaurants. You’ll have a direct impact on customer experience via one of the most important questions for our business: when can I eat? We are looking for motivated engineers experienced in building out fault-tolerant and high performance systems to join the team. Our Delivery systems are a mix of high scale and high intelligence. As such, our products require collaboration between engineers, decision scientists, data analysts, a proven operations team, and a product team that’s thinking end-to-end.
Some Challenges You’ll Tackle
- Develop highly-available, fault-tolerant core features for our Timing and Estimation system
- Help improve and mature the “crown Jewel” logistics systems of Grubhub.
- Design extensible software architectures that allow GrubHub to be agile and react to changes quickly.
- Collaborate with leadership, product owners, and technologists to deliver features that increase the offerings & efficiency of our systems
- Design reliable software and processes that allow GrubHub to offer a high-quality experience. Deal with edge cases gracefully and put processes in place to ensure we do everything we can to provide a great experience for each customer.
- Actively contribute to the adoption of strong software architecture, development best practices, and new technologies.
- Work with our SRE team to operationalize Delivery systems (early warning, insight, and recovery)
You Should Have
- Bachelor’s Degree in Science, Programming or Engineering related field
- 2+ years experience building highly-scalable applications (delivery, logistics, or e-commerce a plus)
- Familiar with Agile methodologies
- Java, C#, C++, Go, or a similar modern object-oriented language
- Experience architecting, designing and developing testable, fault tolerant, and performant software
- Knowledge of, or experience with, developing distributed systems
- AWS experience, or similar cloud-based offerings.
- Automated testing experience applicable for services (Junit/testing, Mockito + Jmeter/Gatling.io)
- Familiarity with eventually consistent databases (Cassandra/MongoDB/CouchDB), distributed and or relational databases is desired
- Familiarity or experience with linear optimization, analytical models or machine learning will be a strong plus
- Familiarity with shortest path finding, routing, capacity management, forecasting, and time estimation algorithms and techniques a major plus.
And Of Course, Perks!
And Of Course, Perks!
- Flexible PTO. It’s true, no strings attached and all the time you need to recharge.
- Better Benefits. Get quality insurance, flex-spending accounts, retirement options and commuter perks.
- Free Food. Kitchens are stocked and free Grubhub each week.
- Stock Up. All of our employees are owners, in fact, they’re granted Restricted Stock Units, which means we’re all in it to win it.
- Casual Culture. Catch rays on the rooftop or get comfy on a couch and get to know your coworkers — because work, should be a place you want to be.
We deliver favorites every day. Join us as we move eating forward.
Grubhub is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: DOL Poster. If you are applying for a job in the U.S. and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to TalentAcquisition@grubhub.com and let us know the nature of your request and contact information. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this e-mail address.
CA Privacy Notice: If you are a resident of the State of California and would like a copy of our CA privacy notice, please email email@example.com.
Back to top