Hey! We’re Grubhub
We're all about connecting hungry diners with our network of over 300,000 restaurants nationwide. User-friendly platforms and streamlined delivery capabilities set us apart in the world of online food ordering. Grubhub is a place where authentically fun culture meets innovation and teamwork. We believe in empowering people and opening doors for new opportunities. If you're looking for a place that values relationships, embraces diverse ideas–all while having fun together–then Grubhub is the place for you!
As a backend software engineer at GrubHub, you will be responsible for building and owning one of the many critical services on our platform. You'll design and build distributed, scalable applications, participate in design discussions, vendor evaluation, tooling decisions, and provide innovative solutions to address business problems and needs. You'll work within your team and across the company to understand the domain and learn and contribute to the codebase while sharing knowledge.
The Impact You Will Make
- You’ll gain expertise in your domain and build highly scalable & reliable additions to our platform
- You’ll be accountable for delivery, deployment, maintenance, and monitoring the performance of your applications and the platform as a whole
- You’ll evaluate tools, technologies, frameworks, and vendors for the platform along with other senior team members
- You’ll write performant and concise code to meet the defined standards here at GrubHub, review the code of peers, and ensure security and scalability of the features you work on
- You’ll help to create the backlog of tech debt and features, suggesting areas for improvement and enhancement
- You’ll actively work with other team members in the domain and be a team player
What You Bring to the Table
- Bachelor’s Degree in Science, Programming or Engineering related field
- 5+ years experience building highly-scalable consumer-facing applications (e-commerce preferred)
- Familiarity with Agile methodologies
- Experience mentoring/coaching engineers along with overseeing the technical work of developers from other teams or 3rd party vendors
- Experience working in a test-driven development environment
- Java, C#, or a similar modern object-oriented language
- Knowledge of or experience with developing distributed systems; experience with cloud computing services such as AWS is a plus
- Familiarity with eventually consistent databases (Cassandra/MongoDB/CouchDB)
- Experience with event-driven architecture is a plus
- Experience with big-data frameworks such as spark/hadoop is a plus
And Of Course, Perks!
- Flexible PTO/PTO. Grubhub employees enjoy a generous amount of time to recharge.
- Health and Wellness. Excellent medical, dental and vision benefits, 401k matching, employee network groups and paid parental leave are just a few of our programs to support your overall well-being.
- Compensation. You'll receive a great compensation package with eligibility for generous incentives, bonuses, commission, or RSUs (role-specific).
- Free Meals. Our employees get a weekly Grubhub credit to enjoy and support local restaurants.
- Social Impact. We believe in giving back through programs like the Grubhub Community Relief Fund, and provide our employees opportunities to support causes that are important to them.
Grubhub employees are required to be fully vaccinated. You must confirm vaccination status at time of hire, and must provide proof of full-Covid-19 vaccination within 2 weeks of starting employment. Fully vaccinated is defined as: "2 weeks have passed since your second dose in a 2-dose series, such as the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines, or 2 weeks after a single-dose vaccine, such as Johnson & Johnson's vaccine.
Grubhub is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome diversity and encourage a workplace that is just as diverse as the customers we serve. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. If you're applying for a job in the U.S. and need an accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an email to TalentAcquisition@grubhub.com and let us know the nature of your request and contact information.
CA Privacy Notice: If you are a resident of the State of California and would like a copy of our CA privacy notice, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.