Senior Site Reliability - Software Engineer
- Flexible / Remote
Hey! We’re Grubhub
We’re all about connecting hungry diners with our network of over 300,000 restaurants nationwide. Innovative technology, user-friendly platforms and streamlined delivery capabilities set us apart and make us an industry leader in the world of online food ordering. When you join our team, you become part of a community that works together to innovate, solve problems, grow, work hard and have a ton of fun in the process!
Why Work For Us
Grubhub is a place where authentically fun culture meets innovation and teamwork. We believe in empowering people and opening doors for new opportunities. If you’re looking for a place that values strong relationships, embraces diverse ideas–all while having fun together–Grubhub is the place for you!
More About the Role
We are seeking service-focused SREs to ensure reliable delivery of projects (and food!). Delivery, E-Commerce, and Restaurant SRE teams are looking for qualified candidates. SREs in these verticals embed within their Software Engineering counterparts and co-own critical application and service designs. We ensure that the bar of the software we’re building is high, that Service Level Objectives (SLOs) are rigorously well-designed and achievable, and that we have all the telemetry we need to make informed decisions about how to scale our services.
The Impact You Will Make
- SREs in the “Runtime Engineering” org embed within the Software Engineering verticals. You will co-own critical production service designs to ensure a high bar of reliability is achievable and measurable.
- You’ll drive reliability and observability improvements in the services within the vertical you are embedded. Using SLOs and other telemetry data, you’ll help your team make informed decisions on where reliability challenges may exist and help design and build solutions to improve them.
- You’ll build and improve internal tools and automation software to make maintaining production services easier and safer.
- You’ll champion and lead reliability-focused practices such as Failure Analysis, Load and Capacity Planning, Service Reviews, Architecture Designs, Incident Postmortems, and others
- You’ll be a subject matter expert on how the platform operates and a contact point for software engineers.
What You Bring to the Table
- Software Engineering experience: Python, Java, Go, or a similar object-oriented language
- Microservice Architecture and Application design experience
- Distributed monitoring experience: SLOs, metrics, tracing, etc
- Working knowledge of Cloud technologies (AWS, GCP, Compute/Containers, Storage, etc)
- Technical writing, documentation, communication skills
- Highly trafficked web-based service experience
About Our Tech:
- Tooling / Automation Code: Python
- Service Code: Java (Spring/Guice) REST / RPC
- Monitoring: Datadog, Splunk, Lightstep
- Cloud (AWS) Technologies: EC2, S3, ElastiCache (Redis/Memcache), Kinesis, Lambda, etc
- Data Tech: Cassandra, ElasticSearch, Redis, Memcache, Kafka
- Principals: Always hot+hot (N+1 datacenters, external providers, etc), cache all the things, secure from the start, load / unit / functional tests for everything, measure everything (metrics)
And Of Course, Perks!
Flexible PTO/PTO. Grubhub employees enjoy a generous amount of time to recharge.
Health and Wellness. Excellent medical benefits, employee network groups and paid parental leave are just a few of our programs to support your overall well-being.
Competitive Pay. You’ll receive a competitive base salary with eligibility for generous incentives, bonuses, commission or RSUs (role-specific).
Learning and Career Growth. Your personal and professional development is a priority at Grubhub. We empower you to be a leader and grow your career through training, coaching and mentorship opportunities.
MealPerks. Get meals on us! Our employees get a weekly Grubhub credit to enjoy and support local restaurants.
Fun. Every Grubhub office has an employee-led Culture Crew that connects people through fun, meaningful events and initiatives like Wellness Wednesdays, Slack competitions and virtual happy hours!
Social Impact. At Grubhub we believe in giving back through programs like the Grubhub Community Relief Fund and donating $1 million to the Equal Justice Initiative in 2020. Employees are also given paid time off each year to support the causes that are important to them.
COVID-19 Response. All of our employees are currently working from home and will be for the foreseeable future. We look forward to seeing everyone in-office when it’s safe to return.
Grubhub is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome diversity and encourage a workplace that is just as diverse as the customers we serve. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. If you’re applying for a job in the U.S. and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an email to TalentAcquisition@grubhub.com and let us know the nature of your request and contact information. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Back to top