Senior Systems Engineer - Datacenter
Be the first of your friends to declare, “I love where I work!” and actually mean it. Laugh hard and work hard with some of the best and brightest in the tech industry.
GrubHub Holdings Inc. is the nation's leading online and mobile food-ordering company dedicated to connecting hungry diners with local takeout restaurants. The GrubHub Holdings Inc. portfolio of brands includes GrubHub, Seamless, MenuPages and Allmenus. The company's online and mobile ordering platforms allow diners to order directly from thousands of takeout restaurants across the country and London, and every order is supported by the company's 24/7 customer service. GrubHub Holdings Inc. has offices in Chicago, New York City and London.
With a career at GrubHub Holdings Inc., you can order your cake and eat it, too!
You’ll be responsible for all aspects of systems availability and setup for internal and datacenter based technologies. You’ll work with our awesome Site Reliability Engineering and the operations center on problem-solving, configuration, and implementation efforts for large and / or complex projects with an emphasis in operational excellence and continuous improvement of systems engineering related processes and procedures. On a daily basis, you’ll be planning, documenting procedures, and coordinating systems software and hardware activities with local and remote team members. And, you’ll have a lot of fun.
The primary work will be Monday to Friday during the day, but there may be some evenings, nights and weekends. There is an on-call support rotation for production servers that require 24x7x365, you will help us out with that.
Must be able to provide transportation to Oak Brook, IL for doing regular data center visits.
- Demonstrates a client service attitude and aptitude. We’re all about our customer service..
- Demonstrates an understanding of problem solving techniques dealing with systems engineering and support.
- Ability to learn, implement and support for technologies for the project teams.
- Ability to both define and follow standards, processes, and procedures.
- Ability to effectively communicate written and verbal to all levels within the organizations as well as communicate directly with customers on new projects and / or issues with production systems.
- Ability to work after hours On-call may be required.
- Knowledge of data center infrastructure technologies including Servers, Storage (local and SAN), etc.
- Experience with server side technology including KVM, VMware, XEN
- Experience with network equipment including Cisco, Palo Alto, Sonicwall, Sophos, etc.
- Strong knowledge of Windows and Linux server operating systems.
- Should be proficient in at least one scripting language.
- 3+ years of relevant technology and working experience is required to ensure tasks are completed without supervision.
- 3+ years of strong experience in an infrastructure position is required to ensure a strong foundation in our customer’s environment and ability to document systems engineering efforts.
- Ability to work and communicate well with others in a team-centered environment.
- Good organizational and planning skills with strong time management.
- Ability to work autonomously in day-to-day management of software applications, databases, and infrastructure..
- A security understanding, especially with Active Directory.
- Ability to learn new applications quickly with little or no formal instruction.
- Work with the team to provide accurate estimates for tasks and projects, and then deliver on those commitments.
- Demonstrates an ability to manage multiple project deliverables effectively, both flying solo and with peers.
- Demonstrates a working ability to foster a cooperative environment with the entire project team. You’ll be viewed as a “team player”, who understands the culture and how to be effective in it.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or Engineering or related.
And Of Course Perks!:
- Unlimited paid vacation days. Choose how your time is spent.
- Never go hungry! We provide weekly GrubHub/Seamless credit.
- Regular in-office social events, including happy hours, wine tastings, karaoke, bingo with prizes and more.
- Company-Wide Initiatives encouraging innovation, continuous learning and cross-department connections.
Grubhub is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: DOL Poster. Grubhub is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.
Back to top