Product Design Manager
About The Opportunity
Hungry for a new venture?
Grubhub is the nation's leading online and mobile food ordering company, dedicated to connecting hungry diners with their favorite local restaurants. The people who work at Grubhub are our company's greatest asset; each person at Grubhub plays an integral part in building tools and technology that help restaurants succeed, and in cooking up fresh new ways to delight our diners.
The company’s online and mobile ordering platforms allow diners to order directly from more than 55,000 takeout restaurants in over 1,100 U.S. cities and London. The Grubhub portfolio of brands includes Grubhub, Seamless, AllMenus, and MenuPages.
We want you to enjoy where you work, who you work with and what you work on. At Grubhub, you can order your cake and eat it too!
You believe design is a verb, not a deliverable. That experience design is 80% thinking or collaborating and 20% putting pixels in place. You know (as much as you might fight it) the constraints of technology are just as important as their promise, because it’s in the constraints we find our best ideas. Someone who sees the patterns in the chaos and knows how to translate those patterns into tools for the design teams. You know there’s a time for going wide, a time for going deep, and understand how to bring the product delivery teams you work with through both stages. You are a thinker, a maker, and a passionate advocate for the Minimum Delightful Product approach to the mantra of “move fast and ship it.”
Some Challenges You’ll Tackle
- Lead a team of designers, constantly pushing the quality of our products
- Frame user-centered problems and business needs in a way that teams can respond to
- Advocate for the customer in high-level strategic decisions with business, product, engineering, and design leaders
- Guide teams in the practice of turning nebulous concepts to specific ideas into useful, delightful product features
- Give and solicit feedback from other designers and constantly drive for perfection
- Draw insights from the work of our talented research team and know how to turn those insights into tangible solutions
- Partner with product, engineers, and the members of the design and research teams to oversee the user experience of a product from conception until launch
- Deeply understand our brand identity and be able to extend into the product without compromising usability
- Externalize design thinking and storytelling practices with all aspects of the company
You Should Have
- At least 8 years of practical, in-house product or UX design experience for either consumer or B2B brands with a focus on complex flows and use cases
- A mature, evolutionary perspective on technology, product, and design practices
- Experience directly managing small teams (2-5) creatives/designers
- Applied experience with service design practices and a practice of constantly evolving your design process
- An appetite (and the skill) for working across all digital and physical manifestations of what we design - from responsive web to native applications to the next technological leap
- Extensive understanding of prototyping methodologies and practices, user research methodologies and A/B test planning/execution
- A passion for mentoring executives, product managers, and engineers to deliver user-centered solutions
- An acute self-awareness and deep empathy - for both the customer and your team’s goals
- Excellent communication and data visualization skills. You can bring internal stakeholders on your design journey and support your decisions with focus and brevity
- A deep curiosity and ability to consider product strategy and vision. You don’t just care about “how it looks,” or “what we should design,” but “why are we designing this at all?”
Submissions without a portfolio that includes examples of your design work will not be considered.
And Of Course, Perks!
- Unlimited paid vacation days. Choose how your time is spent
- Never go hungry! We provide weekly Grubhub/Seamless credit
- Regular in-office social events, including happy hours, wine tastings, karaoke, bingo with prizes and more
- Company-Wide Initiatives encouraging innovation, continuous learning and cross-department connections
We deliver favorites every day. Join us as we move eating forward.
Grubhub is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: DOL Poster. If you are applying for a job in the U.S. and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and contact information. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this e-mail address.
Meet Some of GrubHub's Employees
Noel and his API Team create and code the mobile, web search, and result platforms. Their work interprets the information GrubHub clients consume on a daily basis.
Back to top