Principal Site Reliability Engineer
- Chicago, IL
About The Opportunity
Grubhub is dedicated to connecting hungry diners with our wide network of restaurants across the country. Our innovative technology, easy-to-use platforms and streamlined delivery capabilities make us an industry leader today, and in the future of online food ordering.
We strive to create a workplace that reflects the diversity of our customers and the communities we serve. When you join our team, you become part of a community that works together to innovate, solve problems, take risks, grow, work hard and have a ton of fun in the process!
Why Work For Us
We have a fast-paced environment and that is what our teams thrive on. Grubhub believes in empowering people and offering opportunities for development, as well as professional growth. We value strong, positive relationships in all areas: with each other, our customers and our greater community. Want to be a part of a team of diverse collaborators in an authentically fun culture? If so, we want to talk to you - and hear what’s your favorite restaurant for food delivery!
Some Challenges You’ll Tackle
- Designing a rate-limiting system for expensive operations
- Re-architect systems that are rapidly growing and changing
- Building a system to ensure we have end to end observability across multiple distinct platforms in a single pane of glass
- Finding weak points in our systems and coming up with solutions on how to solve them
- Always be thinking about new and different ways to solve complex challenges
- We operate a system with hundreds of distinct services which communicate both synchronously using RPC (via Envoy) and asynchronously via message buses
- Critical services are mainly Java (using either Guice or Spring) with many SRE owned services written in Python
- We use Cassandra as our primary database and are heavy Elastic users. Our data is hyperlocal and a challenge to model, store, and cache
- Our systems span multiple Amazon regions; all critical systems are always hot/hot across data centers
You Should Have
- Experience working in an embedded SRE model
- 7+ years experience as a Software Engineer. You should understand object oriented concepts, data structures and time/space complexity
- 7+ years experience building highly-scalable applications
- Experience as a Principal, Architect or similar level engineer
- Experience with leading projects in system design, architecture changes, and technology selection
- How we build services fast: A look at the Grubhub service framework
- Cloud Infrastructure at Grubhub
- Traffic Routing and Control
And Of Course, Perks!
- Flexible PTO. Grubhub employees are provided a generous amount of time to recharge their batteries.
- Health and Wellness. We provide programs that support your overall well-being such as generous medical benefits, employee network groups, company-wide fitness challenges, and a comfortable and casual workplace! We also support our parents by offering 8 weeks of paid parent bonding time, a 4-week returnship program, and 6-8 weeks paid medical leave.
- Learning and Career Growth. Your personal and professional development is a priority at Grubhub. From day one, we empower you to lead and be an active participant in your career growth. We provide continuous learning opportunities, training, and coaching and mentorship programs.
- MealPerks. Who’s ready for some lunch? We provide our employees with a weekly Grubhub credit to enjoy and support local restaurants. We also offer company-wide meals several times a year to bring our Grubhub family together.
- Fun. Every Grubhub office has an employee-led Culture Crew that connects people through fun, meaningful events and initiatives. Some of our popular past events include: Wing-eating contests, Grubtoberfest, 5k Runs, Bring Your Child to Work Day, regular happy hours, and more!
- Social Impact. We believe in the importance of serving the communities that support our business. In addition, employees are given paid time off each year to support the causes that are important to them.
Grubhub is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: DOL Poster. If you are applying for a job in the U.S. and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to TalentAcquisition@grubhub.com and let us know the nature of your request and contact information. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
CA Privacy Notice: If you are a resident of the State of California and would like a copy of our CA privacy notice, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Back to top