Lead Engineer - Hands-on Manager- Java - Chicago
We work with awesome people every day. We don’t mean “awesome” like how other people use “awesome”—in some conjunctive form with “sauce” or “balls.” We really mean it. We work with some of the greatest people in the tech industry here at GrubHub. We’re looking for more.
GrubHub leads in the mobile food-ordering industry with a portfolio of brands that includes GrubHub, Seamless, MenuPages and Allmenus. We’re dedicated to connecting hungry diners with local restaurants. With offices in New York City, Chicago and London, GrubHub supports every order with 24/7 customer service.
We want you to enjoy where you work. Who you work with. What you work on. At GrubHub, you can order your cake and eat it too.
About the Opportunity:
GrubHub Holdings Inc. is looking for a Lead Software Engineer to provide technical and architectural leadership for multiple development teams as they conceptualize, design, build, and deploy to the field new and innovative products for our restaurant partners, as well as how those products fit into the big picture of Grubhub. Our Lead Engineers wear a lot of hats - everything from hands-on coding to mentoring developers to working with product to formulate new products to guiding our system architecture. We have high standards for code quality, unit testing, and intelligent architecture. We enjoy implementing new ideas and contributing directly to the growth of the business.
Some Challenges You'll Tackle:
- Architect, implement and test technology solutions at GrubHub
- Motivate and advise technical solutions across multiple cross functional teams
- Take technical responsibility for a family of systems - manage technical debt, be on the lookout for opportunities for improvement, and work with system engineers to keep our production systems scaling and performing wickedly fast
- Actively contribute to the adoption of software architecture, best practices, and technologies. We are always improving the process of building software, we need you to help contribute
- Participate in future product direction
- Act as technical voice for the restaurant technology group
- Encourage continuous delivery and an experimentation-centered development process
You Should Have:
- Masterful understanding of Java (7-10 years experience)
- Masterful understanding of unit testing, version control, and front end integration
- Must be genuinely awesome
And Of Course, Perks!:
- Unlimited paid vacation days. Choose how your time is spent.
- Never go hungry! We provide weekly GrubHub/Seamless credit.
- Regular in-office social events, including happy hours, wine tastings, karaoke, bingo with prizes and more.
- Company-Wide Initiatives encouraging innovation, continuous learning and cross-department connections.
We deliver favorites every day. Join us as we move eating forward.Grubhub is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: DOL Poster. Grubhub is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to TalentAcquisition@grubhub.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.
Meet Some of GrubHub's Employees
Noel and his API Team create and code the mobile, web search, and result platforms. Their work interprets the information GrubHub clients consume on a daily basis.
Back to top