Lead Engineer - External APIs
Grubhub leads in the mobile food-ordering industry with a portfolio of brands that includes Grubhub, Seamless, MenuPages and Allmenus. We’re dedicated to connecting hungry diners with local restaurants. With offices in New York City, Chicago and London, Grubhub supports every order with 24/7 customer service.
We want you to enjoy where you work. Who you work with. What you work on. At GrubHub, you can order your cake and eat it too.About the Opportunity:
We’re looking for a lead-level engineer to drive architecture, development, and manage a small team focused on externally facing APIs for 3rd party consumers. You’ll be working in a highly-available continuous delivery environment, and should be experience being a hands-on leader. This position is highly visible, and will have a significant opportunity to impact our bottom line.
Some Challenges You'll Tackle:
- Crafting elegant externally facing APIs that are painless for consumers and highly conducive to evolution.
- Communicate with leadership, product owners, other technologists, and users to create working software based on an understanding of business and technical priorities.
- Actively contribute to the adoption of strong software architecture, development best practices, and new technologies. We are always improving the process of building software; we need you to help contribute.
Key Non-Technical Attributes:
- Excellent communication skills
- Collaborative approach to problem solving
- You take pride in your solutions and ideas
- You don’t have an ego
- Java (and some Scala)
- Cloud (AWS)
- Netflix OSS
You Should Have:
- Experience building high-traffic externally facing APIs
- Java (or a comparable managed language e.g. Scala, C#)
- Building and maintaining for 5x9s uptime
- Automated testing (unit, integration, load, stress)
- Public Cloud (AWS, Google or Azure)
- Distributed multi data center services
- Bachelor of Science Degree
Got These? Even Better:
- Cassandra (or Dynamo, Riak)
- Elasticsearch (or SOLR)
- E-commerce experience
And Of Course, Perks!:
- Unlimited paid vacation days. Choose how your time is spent.
- Never go hungry! We provide weekly GrubHub/Seamless credit.
- Regular in-office social events, including happy hours, wine tastings, karaoke, bingo with prizes and more.
- Company-Wide Initiatives encouraging innovation, continuous learning and cross-department connections.
We deliver favorites every day. Join us as we move eating forward.Grubhub is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: DOL Poster. Grubhub is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.
Meet Some of GrubHub's Employees
Noel and his API Team create and code the mobile, web search, and result platforms. Their work interprets the information GrubHub clients consume on a daily basis.
Back to top