Lead Data Scientist
We work with awesome people every day. We don’t mean “awesome” like how other people use “awesome”—in some conjunctive form with “sauce” or “balls.” We really mean it. We work with some of the greatest people in the tech industry here at GrubHub. We’re looking for more.
GrubHub leads in the mobile food-ordering industry with a portfolio of brands that includes GrubHub, Seamless, MenuPages and Allmenus. We’re dedicated to connecting hungry diners with local restaurants with our internal delivery network. With offices in New York City, Chicago and London, GrubHub supports every order with 24/7 customer service.
We want you to enjoy where you work. Who you work with. What you work on. At GrubHub, you can order your cake and eat it too.
Some Challenges You’ll Tackle:
- Explore diverse data (structured and unstructured) of large volumes to develop models which help drive complex, real time data driven products with real world impact.
- Using sound scientific guiding principles in analysis, model training, testing and validation of the data models to create precise, high performing and reliable models to be used in product.
- Using software principles to write functional, scalable, tested and clean deployable code, during the implementation stage of algorithms.
- Collaborate and work closely with Engineering, Product and Design to create high quality reliable products.
You Should Have:
- Experience building probabilistic models, simulations and other computational techniques to run statistical analyses for several mission-critical projects. Should also be able to package them into conceptual features available through our data intelligence services and internal code.
- Programming - Our team pushes very hard to scale through automation. Your direct reports will be the bots and services you create to do your job. You’ll also be helping to build out an API for machine learning projects we work on.
- Strong cross-functional communication skills - The algorithms we develop are central to how the business runs. So it's critical for you to understand the drivers of our business very deeply, and to be able to explain your approach to a wide variety of both technical and non-technical stakeholders and take input from them where appropriate.
- Experiment design - You should have a deep understanding of experiment design: Control vs variations, factorial experiment design, multivariate experiments, simple random sampling vs stratified, etc.
- SQL experience - Experience in transactional and data warehouse environments using MySQL, Hive, or other database systems. Must deeply understand joins, subqueries, window functions, etc.
- Humility - Admit when you’re wrong and make a mistake, then let’s laugh about it. You might even make our achievements board!
- 10+ years of experience using the above skills
- PhD or Masters in quantitative discipline.
Got These? Even Better:
- Risk analysis modeling and projections
- Scala, Spark
- Experience designing/building a custom A/B/n experimentation platform
- Professional software engineering background.
- Informal understanding of data structures and computational complexity.
- Understanding of Frequentist/Classic statistics
- You know how to sell an idea to a large group of people. Internal PR is important.
- Predictive Analytics- Clustering, regression, neural networks, etc.
- Blog/portfolio/Github links
And Of Course, Perks!:
- Unlimited paid vacation days. Choose how your time is spent.
- Never go hungry! We provide weekly GrubHub/Seamless credit.
- Regular in-office social events, including happy hours, wine tastings, karaoke, bingo with prizes and more.
- Company-Wide Initiatives encouraging innovation, continuous learning and cross-department connections.
We deliver favorites every day. Join us as we move eating forward.
Grubhub is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: DOL Poster. Grubhub is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.
Back to top