Director of Site Reliability Engineering Team
About The Opportunity
Got a taste for something new?
We’re Grubhub, the nation’s leading online and mobile food ordering company. Since 2004 we’ve been connecting hungry diners to the local restaurants they love. We’re moving eating forward with no signs of slowing down.
With more than 85,000 restaurants and over 15.6 million diners across 1,600 U.S. cities and London, we’re delivering like never before. Incredible tech is our bread and butter, but amazing people are our secret ingredient. Rigorously analytical and customer-obsessed, our employees develop the fresh ideas and brilliant programs that keep our brands going and growing.
Long story short, keeping our people happy, challenged and well-fed is priority one. Interested? Let’s talk. We’re eager to show you what we bring to the table.
Site Reliability Engineers at Grubhub believe that the most valuable product feature is availability, and that effective, scalable software and infrastructure are the keys to building and operating our systems. Our SRE teams are tasked with solving operational problems at scale and making tactical and strategic decisions to deliver best of class platform and products. We believe that building cross-functional relationships is critical, and the SRE teams at Grubhub are involved at all levels of product development and operation.
Reporting to the VP of Technical Operations, the Director of Site Reliability Engineering is a leader, decision maker and an engineer who is obsessed with availability, passionate about automation and scale. In your past, you have designed and implemented applications and infrastructure for high-traffic e-commerce sites and have built and managed engineering teams doing the same. You are a proactive communicator and solutions seeker, comfortable with adapting to changing requirements, and have an eagerness to use your technical expertise to facilitate productive discussions.
Some Challenges You’ll Tackle
- Lead and grow highly technical SRE teams focused on Logistics Platform at Grubhub
- Drive initiatives to build, evolve and support Grubhub’s infrastructure from iron to production
- Be part of the senior team responsible for defining our technology strategy, roadmap and priorities for our organization.
- Balance the needs of the organization today against our future strategic direction.
- Partner with other engineering leaders to guide conversations and best practices in application architecture and cloud infrastructure
- Collaborate with Security teams to support our compliance,audit,security, and privacy initiatives
- Advocate for performance, security, global scale, and automation.
- Define and be held accountable for process, metrics, and SLAs for our operations and infrastructure.
- Lead cross-collaboration efforts with Infrastructure, Service Desk, Security, and Legal teams.
- Incidents happen, and you will need to be able to effectively manage them and focus your team on driving resolution ASAP as well as learn from them.
You Should Have
- You have previous experience running production-grade software at scale
- Experience leading and growing highly-skilled and fast moving engineering, devops or SRE teams
- Prior experience managing people managers is required
- You are comfortable having in-depth architectural discussions, troubleshooting and debugging systems and reading/writing code
- You have strong opinions informed by experience on subjects like infrastructure-as-code, containerization, microservice orchestration,bdistributed systems, incident response, and AWS bric-a-brac, but also willing to discuss, experiment and evolve those opinions
- You thrive in a fast-paced, agile environment
Tools we work with:
- Java for microservices
- Docker (in production!)
- Combination of AWS and our own hardware
- Python and Fabric for automation and our CD pipeline
- Jenkins for builds and task execution
- Linux (CentOS and Ubuntu)
- DataDog for metrics and alerting
- Splunk for log aggregation
- Spinnaker for deployment pipelines
And Of Course, Perks!
- Unlimited paid vacation days. Choose how your time is spent
- Never go hungry! We provide weekly Grubhub/Seamless credit
- Regular in-office social events, including happy hours, wine tastings, karaoke, bingo with prizes and more
- Company-Wide Initiatives encouraging innovation, continuous learning and cross-department connections
We deliver favorites every day. Join us as we move eating forward.
Grubhub is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: DOL Poster. If you are applying for a job in the U.S. and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to TalentAcquisition@grubhub.com and let us know the nature of your request and contact information. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this e-mail address.
Meet Some of GrubHub's Employees
Senior Director, Acquisition Marketing
Steven uses every marketing tool from television to direct mail to display advertising to consistently acquire new customers—and drive Grubhub forward in the industry.
Back to top