Director of Engineering - Delivery Systems
About The Opportunity
We’re Grubhub, the nation’s leading online and mobile food ordering company. Since 2004 we’ve been connecting hungry diners to the local restaurants they love. We’re moving eating forward with no signs of slowing down.
With more than 85,000 restaurants and over 15.6 million diners across 1,600 U.S. cities and London, we’re delivering like never before. Incredible tech is our bread and butter, but amazing people are our secret ingredient. Rigorously analytical and customer-obsessed, our employees develop the fresh ideas and brilliant programs that keep our brands going and growing.
Long story short, keeping our people happy, challenged and well-fed is priority one. Interested? Let’s talk. We’re eager to show you what we bring to the table.
As a Director Engineering at Grubhub, you will be responsible for building and maintaining the services and features required to help Grubhub continue to scale. We are looking for a leader who is interested in getting their hands dirty in the architecture and design of our delivery systems. Our Delivery systems are a mix of high scale and high intelligence. As such, our products require collaboration between engineers, decision scientists, data analysts, and a product team that’s thinking end-to-end.
This role will report directly into the Senior Director, Delivery Engineering.
Some Challenges You’ll Tackle
- Help lead Grubhub’s continued expansion into delivery by further scaling our systems and teams
- Help improve and mature the ‘crown jewel’ systems of Grubhub.
- Help extend the effectiveness of the current team through coaching and mentoring
- Work with our SRE team to operationalize Delivery systems (early warning, insight, and recovery)
You Should Have
- 10+ years experience as a strong technical leader and proven ability to devise, build and release complex technical systems
- Direct experience with local delivery, automated dispatch, or real-time logistics
- 10+ years experience leading high performance team in fast-paced organizations and environments
- Strong ability to collaborate with C-level executives and across broad organizations including product, operations, finance and care
- Demonstrated experience launching new products in high growth markets
- Experience managing or providing guidance to virtual team members and or teams
- Familiarity and comfort with data, including the ability to use data to analyze and monitor product health, set
- Ability to weigh competing priorities, manage tradeoffs and evaluate opportunistic new ideas with stakeholders, driving to consensus while maintaining a clear focus on overarching technical architecture.
And Of Course, Perks!
- Unlimited paid vacation days. Choose how your time is spent
- Never go hungry! We provide weekly Grubhub/Seamless credit
- Regular in-office social events, including happy hours, wine tastings, karaoke, bingo with prizes and more
- Company-Wide Initiatives encouraging innovation, continuous learning and cross-department connections
We deliver favorites every day. Join us as we move eating forward.
Grubhub is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: DOL Poster. If you are applying for a job in the U.S. and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to TalentAcquisition@grubhub.com and let us know the nature of your request and contact information. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this e-mail address.
Back to top