Data Scientist - Finance & Analytics
About The Opportunity
Hungry for a new venture?
Grubhub is the nation's leading online and mobile food ordering company, dedicated to connecting hungry diners with their favorite local restaurants. The people who work at Grubhub are our company's greatest asset; each person at Grubhub plays an integral part in building tools and technology that help restaurants succeed, and in cooking up fresh new ways to delight our diners.
The company’s online and mobile ordering platforms allow diners to order directly from more than 55,000 takeout restaurants in over 1,100 U.S. cities and London. The Grubhub portfolio of brands includes Grubhub, Seamless, AllMenus, and MenuPages.
We want you to enjoy where you work, who you work with and what you work on. At Grubhub, you can order your cake and eat it too!
You will be on a team of data scientists who drive quantitative decision-making for the company as well as interacting with the executive team and senior leaders across the organization (CRM, Diner Acquisition, Product, Technology, Customer Service, etc.).
Some Challenges You’ll Tackle
- Build models which help us optimize our business operations. Sample projects include: Predicting restaurant quality for the sales team, optimizing local market growth, mixed-media/marketing attribution, and building recommender systems
- Proactively find quantitative insights and trends using data from across the whole company
- Develop hypotheses for improvements based on your insights and work cross-functionally with the above groups to run experiments to validate them
- Use Learning Friday each week to research and prototype new ideas to share with our group
You Should Have
- 2+ years of experience in an analytic role. You can provide multiple concrete examples of using data science to drive value for a company
- Professional experience with advanced regression analysis, probabilistic modeling, and machine learning / predictive analytics, including the ability to use tools like R, Python, Matlab, Mathematica, etc.
- Experience in transactional and data warehouse environments using Amazon Redshift or other database systems and the ability to query data sources directly (SQL and Python)
- Ability to explain technical concepts in simple terms to business users
- At least a basic understanding of experiment design
Got these? Even Better:
- Experience with Hadoop, Hive, Apache Spark, etc.
- Experience with programming languages like Java, C++, C# or Scala
- Experience with structural equation modeling, NLP (natural language processing), deep learning, classification techniques such as SVM (support vector machine), hierarchical modeling, cluster analysis
- Understanding of marketing analytics, A/B testing, operations research
- Experience with Tableau or other data visualization tools
- Studied a technical, quantitative, or analytical field throughout school (Physics, social sciences, political science, etc.).
And Of Course, Perks!
- Unlimited paid vacation days. Choose how your time is spent
- Never go hungry! We provide weekly Grubhub/Seamless credit
- Regular in-office social events, including happy hours, wine tastings, karaoke, bingo with prizes and more
- Company-Wide Initiatives encouraging innovation, continuous learning and cross-department connections
We deliver favorites every day. Join us as we move eating forward.
Grubhub is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: DOL Poster. If you are applying for a job in the U.S. and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and contact information. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this e-mail address.
Meet Some of GrubHub's Employees
Noel and his API Team create and code the mobile, web search, and result platforms. Their work interprets the information GrubHub clients consume on a daily basis.
Back to top