Data Science Lead
About The Opportunity
Hungry for a new venture?
Grubhub is the nation's leading online and mobile food ordering company, dedicated to connecting hungry diners with their favorite local restaurants. The people who work at Grubhub are our company's greatest asset; each person at Grubhub plays an integral part in building tools and technology that help restaurants succeed, and in cooking up fresh new ways to delight our diners.
The company’s online and mobile ordering platforms allow diners to order directly from more than 55,000 takeout restaurants in over 1,100 U.S. cities and London. The Grubhub portfolio of brands includes Grubhub, Seamless, AllMenus, and MenuPages.
We want you to enjoy where you work, who you work with and what you work on. At Grubhub, you can order your cake and eat it too!
Some Challenges You’ll Tackle
- As a part of CRM leadership, you will lead the team that develops models and triggered programs that deliver relevant offers to our hungry diners. The systems you’ll build will affect grubhub.com and offsite experience (email, push notifications, display and social ads).
- We believe in personalization - finding the most relevant offer for each of our diners, across a diverse set of options. This means solving complex, large-scale problems using Spark and Python. You and your team will build models that will meaningfully affect our marketing spend, and impact millions of our customers.
- CRM area is just getting started: your work will be able to move the needle. You will present your team’s work to the CEO of Grubhub - and he will expect your team to meaningfully move the bottom line for the entire company!
- Explore diverse data sets of large volumes to develop models which help drive complex, real time data driven products with real world impact.
- Using sound scientific principles in analysis, model training, testing and validation of the data models to create precise, high performing and reliable models to be used in our marketing.
- Using software principles to write functional, scalable, tested and clean deployable code, during the implementation stage of algorithms.
- Lead and mentor the Agile team of data scientists. Help solve challenging problems with problem formulation, prioritization, exploration and implementation.
- Collaborate and work closely with Engineering, Product and Design to create high quality reliable, consumer-facing products.
You Should Have
- Strong Machine Learning and Statistics track record and expertise on Regression Methods, Classification Methods, Clustering, Neural Networks, Unsupervised Learning Methods, Etc.
- Experience working on Anomaly Detection, User Rating Calculation,Time Series Forecasting, Etc.
- In depth understanding of Experiment design - control vs variations, factorial experiment design, multivariate experiments, simple random sampling vs. stratified, etc.
- Software engineering - Our team pushes very hard to scale through automation. Advanced Python and Spark Skills are essential to perform your daily tasks.
- Strong cross-functional communication skills - The algorithms we develop are central to how the business runs. So it's critical for you to understand the drivers of our business very deeply, and to be able to explain your approach to a wide variety of both technical and non-technical stakeholders and take input from them where appropriate.
- SQL experience - Experience in transactional and data warehouse environments using MySQL, Hive, or other database systems. Must deeply understand joins, subqueries, window functions, etc.
- Humility - Admit when you’re wrong and make a mistake, then let’s laugh about it.
- 6+ years of experience using the above skills
- 2+ years of experience managing teams. Working knowledge of running an agile prioritization process and daily standups.
- Masters in quantitative discipline, or a BS with significant work experience.
Got These? Even Better:
- Working knowledge of Scala or interest to pick up new programming languages.
- Good understanding of data structures and computational complexity.
- You know how to sell an idea to a group of people.
- Predictive Analytics- Clustering, regression, neural networks, etc.
- Blog/portfolio/Github links
And Of Course, Perks!
- Unlimited paid vacation days. Choose how your time is spent.
- Never go hungry! We provide weekly GrubHub/Seamless credit.
- Regular in-office social events, including happy hours, wine tastings, karaoke, bingo with prizes and more.
- Company-Wide initiatives that dedicate time to innovation, continuous learning and cross-department connections.
We deliver favorites every day. Join us as we move eating forward.
Grubhub is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: DOL Poster. If you are applying for a job in the U.S. and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and contact information. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this e-mail address.
Meet Some of GrubHub's Employees
Noel and his API Team create and code the mobile, web search, and result platforms. Their work interprets the information GrubHub clients consume on a daily basis.
Back to top