About The Opportunity
About The Opportunity:
As a Site Reliability Engineer on the Platform Engineering team, it’s our job to provide the supporting infrastructure, automation as well as systems design knowledge to the team. You’ll be designing, building and testing Cassandra database infrastructure in all areas of the Grubhub infrastructure. This core role owns the subject matter expertise in Cassandra and how to leverage it best. You will also be called on to export knowledge and training to the developers and other engineers that leverage this platform on a day-to-day basis.
We pride ourselves on a highly available, highly scalable infrastructure, and datastores are no exception.
Some Challenges You’ll Tackle
- As a Cassandra Engineer at Grubhbub, you will work with development and SRE teams to review application data models and traffic requirements; identify data model issues and potential bottlenecks; recommend schema design changes, compaction strategies, & other improvements.
- Performance tuning of Cassandra clusters to support high read/write throughput while minimizing latency.
- Analysis of database access patterns to isolate hotspots, data model problems, and other bottlenecks.
- Plan, test, and execute standard cluster maintenance activities & Cassandra version upgrades.
- Perform proactive capacity planning and forecasting based on database usage patterns and new business initiatives.
- Establish standards and best practices for operating a high-performance, distributed NoSQL computing environment.
- Diagnose and troubleshoot production issues as needed.
- Communication, coordination and planning with Engineering, SRE and development teams.
You Should Have
- Extensive experience managing highly-available, large, multi-datacenter Cassandra clusters in production, in a platform/infrastructure/DBA role, preferably in an e-commerce environment.
- Experience scaling Cassandra clusters to support high read/write throughput and tuning Cassandra & the JVM for low-latency response times.
- Solid understanding of Cassandra data modeling patterns and anti-patterns; experience working closely with development teams to design & optimize database schema based on application access patterns.
- Experience scripting administrative tasks using python or shell scripts. (If you’ve written larger scripts or apps with python, even better.)
- Experience with configuration management and source control systems (Ansible, Chef, Puppet, Git, SVN).
- Solid grasp of Unix/Linux operating system management & fundamentals.
- Prior experience working with Agile methodologies.
- Must have good verbal, written, interpersonal and presentation skills.
And Of Course, Perks!
- Unlimited paid vacation days. Choose how your time is spent
- Never go hungry! We provide weekly Grubhub/Seamless credit
- Regular in-office social events, including happy hours, wine tastings, karaoke, bingo with prizes and more
- Company-Wide Initiatives encouraging innovation, continuous learning and cross-department connections
We deliver favorites every day. Join us as we move eating forward.
Grubhub is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: DOL Poster. If you are applying for a job in the U.S. and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to TalentAcquisition@grubhub.com and let us know the nature of your request and contact information. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this e-mail address.
Meet Some of GrubHub's Employees
Steven Y.Senior Director, Acquisition Marketing
Steven uses every marketing tool from television to direct mail to display advertising to consistently acquire new customers—and drive Grubhub forward in the industry.
Back to top