Senior Editor, Identities and Voices
Greatist is on a mission to change the way people think about health and happiness. It’s an amazing time to be a part of our company, as we’re shaping the future of how we work and how we connect deeply with the world. Everyone who joins us will play an integral role in the way we develop and share stories. Our extraordinary, empowered misfit team of dreamers, makers, and content creators are all working together to define what it means to have a healthy attitude in life. We’re looking for people that will add to our culture and join us on this mission.
About the Role / Why This Position Rocks
We’re seeking a whip-smart, creative, and driven senior editor to join our editorial team. You’ll build and manage a network of talented and diverse contributors and columnists; assign and edit honest, thought-provoking first-person essays and op-eds as well as smart, voice-y lists; and shape our Identities (a.k.a. Overshare) channel into a well-rounded, inspiring space that reflects the experiences—both positive and negative—of 20- and 30-somethings today. Why does this matter? Because we’re all trying to figure sh*t out, and being inspired by others’ vulnerability, bravery, and senses of humor reminds us we’re not alone. In this role, you’ll have the power to open up and influence the conversation around what it means to be making strides toward a happier, healthier life.
Responsibilities / What Impact You Can Make
- Develop, assign, edit (and very occasionally write) stories related to mental, physical, emotional, and sexual health; social psychology; body positivity; relationships; drug use; and more.
- Devise and execute a regular content lineup that reflects Greatist’s dedication to quality over quantity.
- Ensure a steady flow of incredible content written by new and experienced writers as well as relevant experts.
- Follow posts through from ideation to execution (including editing/building within a CMS and
- determining photo/visual elements).
- Work closely with the edit and digital marketing teams to identify stories, topics, and approaches that resonate most with Greatist’s readers—and thoughtfully adjust our coverage accordingly.
- Aid in the development of video concepts, including subjects and participants to be featured in short- and longer-form series.
- Idea generator who thrives in a fast-paced environment and has 5-7 years of experience working for a highly trafficked website.
- Significant experience editing and thoughtfully guiding writers who are covering sensitive subject matters.
- Impeccable editorial judgment and mastery of story structure, flow, and grammar.
- A regular stable of talented freelancers.
- A passion for mental health and social justice issues (including but not limited to race, feminism, and LBGTQ rights).
- A keen sense of what makes Greatist different from other media outlets.
- A kick-ass, positive attitude and the ability to not take yourself too seriously.
- Comfortable working independently and as part of a team.
- Experience with content management systems, Photoshop, HTML, Google Analytics, and SEO best practices.
Life at Greatist
Launched in 2011, Greatist is now the fastest-growing site in the health space with 10 million uniques every month. We’ve won the People's Voice Webby Award for the best Lifestyle site on the freakin' Internet two years in a row, and we were even named one of The 15 Best Startups to Work for in America!
For more on our world-class benefits, check out our careers page.
Back to top