Senior Front End Engineer
- Emeryville, CA
Who we are:
Grabango is the leading provider of checkout-free shopper technology for existing stores. Founded by Will Glaser (former founder & CTO of Pandora Media), the Grabango team has developed the only enterprise class solution for large store chains in the market today. Grabango's system accommodates thousands of store locations, hundreds of thousands of SKUs and millions of square feet across a given retail enterprise.
We're a growing group of curious, self-directed people working towards a common goal. We delight in taking risks and testing hypotheses in a collaborative environment. Our ability to celebrate both our successes and failures as milestones of progress opens the door to tremendous breakthroughs.
Computer vision and machine learning are at the core of our patent pending technology. Our accomplished team is a powerful combination of technology and commerce professionals that are working to “Eliminate lines and save people time!”
As a Frontend Software Engineer you’ll get to build features and improvements for the mobile application that supports our end users. You’ll have the opportunity to code solutions of moderate complexity on your own, and when more complex projects arise we expect you to collaborate with more senior engineers to learn how to approach more complex problems. Grabango believes strongly in a growth mindset; we're here to learn and we're looking for other folks who have an appetite to grow their skills on the job. Join us in creating the opportunity to eliminate lines and save people time!
This full-time role reports directly to the Director of Engineering and is based in Berkeley.
We're looking for you if...
- You are a strong all-around engineer, with a special enthusiasm for web browser technologies.
- You recognize the need to balance pragmatism and creativity.
- You have a bias for action.
- You know how to write perfect code, and you know when code doesn’t need to be perfect.
- You like helping other engineers understand tradeoffs, not only solutions.
- You are able to use your knowledge and experience to help solve problems that may not be in your field of expertise.
- You work well with a diverse team of high-quality people focused on customer delight.
- You can rapidly become familiar with and apply new tools and technologies.
What you'll be doing:
- Month 1:
- Getting up to speed on our various systems
- Reviewing code to help us find areas to improve our patterns
- Working with other developers to identify and resolve bugs
- Collaborating on UI/UX design for development and internal tools
- Extend the feature set of our training and management systems
- Month 3:
- Collaborate on application UI/UX for external interfaces and continued feature development of our training and machine learning systems
- Contribute to product roadmap development
- Month 6:
- Completely understand the build, deploy, and CI/CD systems that back the frontend.
- Bring your awareness of frontend tech to Grabango; when you see an opportunity where new tech (eg, GraphQL, Testing Suites, Bazel, React Native, etc) will help Grabango’s engineering & business processes.
- Lead design/breakdown for complex user-facing features that integrate with numerous services.
What you should have:
- 5+ years experience as a software engineer
- Experience with modeling tools like Balsamiq, UXPin or Moqups
- End to end front end development
- Big Plus for React Native experience
Education & Certifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
Integrity: Do the right thing, particularly when you don’t have to.
Bold Innovation: Think recklessly, but temper your actions with pragmatism.
People Matter: Hire the best, and treasure them.
Don’t Live with Broken: Have the courage to admit mistakes, and the urgency to correct them.
Customer Focus: Deliver beyond expectations, both internally and externally.
Inclusion: Foster an environment that welcomes all.
Simplify: Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.
Grabango is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to developing a workplace where diversity and inclusion are an essential part of who we are. We strive to hire and support a workforce as diverse as our shopper base, so we can develop products and services that best suit our customers. We do not make employment decisions based on race, color, religion, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender-identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, military or veteran status and we comply with all local, state and federal employment laws.
Grabango participates in the E-Verify Program, an internet-based system operated by the Department of Homeland Security and the Social Security Administration. It allows employers to confirm an individual’s employment eligibility to work in the United States.
Back to top