Senior Systems Engineer
Goodwin Procter is hiring Senior Systems Engineer.
Responsible for the design, implementation, management, and engineering support of Goodwin’s computing infrastructure (servers & related infrastructure applications). Focuses on optimizing stability, availability, reliability, and performance. Monitors and controls infrastructure processes, and implements system security to provide stable and secure systems platforms. Assists with the implementation of new or additional infrastructure technology to augment and improve infrastructure service, both locally and remotely. Assists with resource and workload management and capacity planning. Effectively manages computing equipment and infrastructure software life-cycles, providing input into budget preparation. Requires rotating on-call for after-hours support.
- Provides full design, planning, configuration, documentation, deployment and top-level support ownership of computing infrastructure technologies.
- Working with the Infrastructure Services Manager develops documented firm standards for server technology and ensures that adherence to those standards is monitored and followed by all members of the Infrastructure Services group.
- Coordinates and manages changes to the production computing infrastructure environment.
- Assists with resolution of escalated incidents and participates in problem management activities.
- Maintains awareness of industry trends and their advantages with the ability to make recommendations for improving technology used by the firm.
- Principal lead engineer responsible for the day to day administration and direction of the Citrix XenApp infrastructure.
- Assists in negotiations of software licensing and support agreements.
- Participates in and/or manages cross-functional team projects to implement new or updated technology.
- Cross-trains other IT staff in the use or maintenance of technology.
- Effectively manages medium to large projects.
- Assumes additional responsibilities as assigned.
- Expert knowledge of multiple technology areas including several of the following
- Administration of various server operating systems including, but not limited to Microsoft Windows Server 2003 thru 2012.
- Server virtualization technology utilizing VMWare ESX versions 5.X thru 6.X.
- Server software and patch deployment technology including SCCM and WSUS.
- Deployment and configuration of server monitoring tools such as NetIQ, VMTurbo and Microsoft SCOM.
- Remote management of server infrastructure including “out of band” access.
- Load balancer technology solutions including Citrix Netscaler and F5 LTM/GTM appliances.
- Server hardware including HP blade technology.
- Disaster recovery solutions and Business Continuity strategies.
- Knowledge of ITIL Service Management principles.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and interpersonal skills as necessary to communicate and coordinate with others on both routine and non-routine matters.
- Ability to resolve problems independently in accordance with defined policies and procedures.
- Ability to work successfully with minimal supervision in an atmosphere of multiple projects, shifting priorities, and deadline pressures.
- Displays professionalism, quality service and a "can do" attitude to internal members/departments of the Firm as well as external clients and vendors via electronic and print correspondence, over the telephone and in-person.
- Understands and analyzes industry technology trends and their relevance to the Goodwin Procter environment.
- Experience working in high-pressure professional services organization or other similar organization requiring attention to detail and sensitivity to confidential and proprietary information.
Education / Relevant Experience:
- BA/BS or equivalent work experience.
- MCSE Certification
- 8+ years’ experience in relevant technology and business skills as detailed above.
Back to top