Manager of Pricing
The Manager of Pricing will advise and support attorneys in developing and implementing transactional and strategic pricing arrangements, fee and rate analysis, and client budgets and reporting. Within this business partner role, the Manager of Pricing & Project Management will work closely with other members of the Project Management & Pricing Team to identify and manage robust analytical tools, matter modeling, and reporting systems to support the development of alternative fee arrangements, monitor performance against budget, and assess the financial impact of pricing arrangements. In addition, the Manager of Pricing & Project Management will assist in developing legal project management tools and approaches, training lawyers to use those tools, and implementing best practices in matter management.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
Work with attorneys to develop pricing proposals and budgets, including locating sample budgets and other relevant matter experience, data mining historical matters, and drafting pricing-related communications. Drive the development of creative pricing solutions to meet client needs and business objectives, including the use of alternative fee arrangements.
Provide advice and support to lawyers and others involved in pricing proposals and approvals, advancing pricing as a strategic tool to drive profitability and revenue growth.
Work directly with attorneys on pricing and project management issues, including providing data and analytics on matter performance and rate arrangements. Work with the Managing Director of Pricing & Project Management to identify client business objectives, cost pressures, and pricing preferences, and leverage information learned from clients to develop fee proposals aligned with client goals.
Analyze the financial impact of pricing arrangements and work with client teams and Business Units to develop strategies to improve profitability. Assist in developing and implementing economic models to project the financial impact of proposed pricing arrangements and staffing models.
Contribute to, help manage, and maintain resources and content on the Pricing & Project Management intranet site.
Work with Business Units to develop and implement tools to assist in effective pricing and project management, including budget templates, pricing databases, and model client communications.
Collaborate with the Managing Director of Pricing & Project Management, Professional Development & Training, Department Directors, and Business Units to develop and deliver pricing and project management training to lawyers and professional staff.
Assist the Managing Director of Pricing & Project Management with setting standard billing rates using competitive benchmarking tools and internal financial metrics.
Assist the Managing Director of Pricing & Project Management with reviewing client special billing arrangements to ensure accuracy and implement any necessary adjustments.
Partner with Business Development Managers to draft sections of RFP responses relating to pricing and project management.
- Stay informed of current pricing and project management trends within the legal market, and apply learned concepts to help improve the firm's pricing capabilities.
RequirementsKnowledge, Skills and Competencies:
- Ability to assist in developing and executing project management strategies, including designing project management training programs for lawyers and professional staff.
- Strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills, business-minded, with leadership, influence and execution capabilities. Ability to interact effectively with attorneys and senior professional staff. Exceptional oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to proactively and professionally manage internal client relationships with emphasis on producing results in a client focused/service oriented manner.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment, manage multiple projects simultaneously, and complete tasks with minimal oversight.
- Ability to effectively train and manage junior team members.
- Ability to protect and maintain confidential and sensitive information.
- Proficiency in Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Ability to learn, leverage and use additional programs, including business intelligence, visualization, budgeting, and financial management software.
Educational Qualifications/Job Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor's Degree required, M.B.A. preferred.
- Minimum of 5-10 years' work experience preferred, preferably in a large law firm, leading professional services firm, or corporate legal department.
- Experience with managing complex projects and/or legal matters with multiple work streams.
Apply On-lineSend This Job to a Friend
Meet Some of Goodwin Procter's Employees
Legal Recruitment Manager
Susan helps Goodwin make good hires. And once Goodwin’s new Associates and Summer Associates have arrived, she supports and coaches them in their professional development.
Back to top