We are looking for a Legal Secretary to provide high quality and efficient legal secretarial and administrative services in our business law unit by maintaining good client relationships and providing professional support to a team of attorneys, specialists, legal assistants, secretarial staff, internal services, managers and directors. The Legal Secretary relieves team members of clerical and administrative work as well as other business details as needed. This requires: teamwork; the ability to work closely and effectively with others; strong communication and technical skills; the ability to prioritize and establish work objectives, and the ability to work under deadlines, time pressures, and a generally high level of demand.
- Client Service: Answers telephone calls and takes accurate and complete messages, gives information to callers, refers to others, or holds for team members. Provides relevant and timely information to clients and team members (including times when they are out of the office) in a professional, courteous, and effective manner. Retrieves voice mail messages, arranges conference calls.
- Document Preparation: Prepares accurate, error-free, and properly formatted legal materials and correspondence. Compile, type, revise, combine, edit, print, and store documents. Compiles materials to be typed following written or oral instructions from supervisor or person requesting documents to determine format desired, number of copies needed, priority, and other requirements. Reads instructions and accompanying material, or follows verbal instructions from supervisor or person requesting documents to determine format and content required. Establishes spacing, margins, type size, style and color, and other parameters, using computer and word processing software. Types, revises, and combines material such as correspondence, reports, records, forms, minutes of meetings, scientific or technical material, numerical data, and tabular information from rough draft, corrected copy, recorded voice dictation, or previous version. Checks completed documents for spelling errors, using software. Proofreads and edits documents for grammar, spelling, punctuation, and format. Corrects errors. Inputs data for revision or editing. Files documents and emails in the Firm's electronic document software. Distributes correspondence using scanning, PDF, email or hard copy delivery. May compile and type statistical reports. Possesses proficient technical user knowledge of advanced functions of Microsoft Word 2010 word processing software and 60 wpm typing speed. Adaptable to learning new software.
- Time Entry/Billing: Inputs team members' time entries on a daily basis. Opens new client and/or matter numbers; performs conflict checks; demands prebill selection of monthly bills for attorney review; makes appropriate transfers, write-offs, and corrections; applies retainers, on account fees, and on account disbursements for third-party billings; handles special billing requests from clients, i.e., travel detail, special billing formats; copies, mails and forwards copies of finalized bills to Accounting Department; maintains billing files; receives, copies, files and submits client checks to Accounting Department; prepares client audit reports; acts as liaison with Accounting Department on past due receivables.
- Scheduling: Schedules appointments, including meetings, conferences, court dates, and depositions for team members. Coordinates work flow and prioritizes work so that all deadlines can be met. Arranges travel schedule and reservations for team members. Reserves conference room(s) for meetings; arranges for special equipment, and coordinates catering services.
- Mail: Reviews, prioritizes, and routes incoming mail. Prepares outgoing mail and overnight packages using the postage-metering machine, scale, and Federal Express Power ship. Coordinates messenger pickups and deliveries.
- Filing: Maintains current and orderly files according to Firm guidelines, including, but not limited to client files, chronological, administrative, materials for closings, and ongoing cases. Provides quick retrieval of information, general document control, and updates materials. Closes files and sends to storage following Firm policy.
- Other job duties as assigned
- A minimum of 5 years' experience in a large law firm environment is ideal but not required.
- The successful candidate will possess a professional demeanor, superior oral and written communication skills and strong client service skills.
- Knowledge of advanced MS Word, PowerPoint and billing helpful.
- Consistent with the SF Fair Chance Ordinance, an arrest and conviction record will not automatically disqualify a qualified applicant from consideration.Apply On-lineSend This Job to a Friend
Meet Some of Goodwin Procter's Employees
Legal Recruitment Manager
Susan helps Goodwin make good hires. And once Goodwin’s new Associates and Summer Associates have arrived, she supports and coaches them in their professional development.
Back to top