Director of Diversity & Inclusion
The Director, Diversity & Inclusion will partner with firm leadership and the Managing Director, Professional Development & Training to develop and implement a world class diversity and inclusion strategy. The strategy will foster inclusive leadership; unlock collaboration and innovation; eliminate hidden barriers to success; and empower the firm to attract, retain and advance top talent from underrepresented backgrounds. The end goal is a highly diverse and fully inclusive firm.
- Work collaboratively with firm leadership and the Managing Director, Professional Development & Training to set the firm's diversity and inclusion strategy and to educate functional areas of the firm about that strategy.
- Develop and implement programs designed to foster inclusivity, eliminate hidden barriers to success, and attract, retain, and advance top talent from underrepresented backgrounds.
- Lead the firm's strategic diversity and inclusion initiatives, including its D+I Champions program, its D+I action planning initiative, its unconscious bias disruption work, its Amplify sponsorship program, its diversity dashboard initiative, and other such programs and initiatives.
- Work collaboratively with leadership of [email protected], [email protected] (Committee on Racial and Ethnic Diversity), [email protected], [email protected], and other firmwide diversity initiatives to develop and implement annual strategic plans, request and manage annual budgets, and provide management updates.
- Provide oversight and leadership to the local councils and subcommittees of Goodwin's firmwide diversity initiatives.
- Provide or arrange for core diversity education and workshops.
- Work collaboratively with the firm's Professional Development & Inclusion team to better support and develop talent from underrepresented backgrounds.
- Work collaboratively with the firm's Human Resources team to develop and implement diversity and inclusion programs for professional staff.
- Work collaboratively with the firm's Legal Recruitment and Human Resources teams to identify and implement strategic opportunities to diversify talent pipelines.
- Work collaboratively with the firm's Marketing and Communications teams to develop and implement a strategy to build the firm's reputation as a leader in diversity and inclusion.
- Work collaboratively with the firm's Marketing team on diversity aspects of the client RPF process, ensuring the accuracy and completeness of diversity information included in RFPs.
- Work collaboratively with the firm's Human Resources, Marketing and Finance teams to respond to diversity surveys.
- Develop and implement strategies to partner with key clients on diversity-related initiatives, including premier speaker events, pro bono partnerships, pipeline initiatives, roundtables, etc.
- Build relationships with lawyers at the firm from underrepresented backgrounds, internal diversity leaders, diversity professionals at peer firms, leaders of diversity organizations and bar-associations, and diversity professionals at clients.
- Attend and speak at diversity conferences and on diversity panels, and facilitate relationships between individuals at the firm and leading diversity organizations.
- Monitor external diversity best practices and learning and make recommendations for new initiatives to ensure that Goodwin is a leader in the diversity and inclusion space.
- Work collaboratively with the Chief Human Resources Officer and Managing Director, Professional Development & Training to develop and analyze metrics for measuring progress and effectiveness of the firm's diversity and inclusion strategy.
- Ensure effective management of the overall diversity calendar and budget.
- Supervise, train and develop junior diversity professionals.
RequirementsSkills, Knowledge and Competencies:
- Demonstrated leadership qualities, including excellent interpersonal and collaborative skills, inclusive leadership style, strategic and innovative thinking, persuasion and influencing, professional presence and the ability to build enthusiasm and commitment.
- Demonstrated expertise in creating and maintaining project charters, project plans, status reports, budgets, communication and change management plans.
- Proven track record of effectively managing conflict, resolving issues, mitigating risks and influencing leaders.
- Strong organization skills, including setting priorities, planning, structuring project deliverables and problem solving.
- Proven ability to lead peers and individual contributors, build effective teams and coach for success.
- Excellent communication skills, including effective listening, presentation and facilitation skills.
- Demonstrated sound judgment and ability to make effective, timely decisions.
- Ability to oversee multiple projects.
Education and Relevant Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree required, and Juris Doctorate or Master's Degree in business administration, human resources, leadership and organizational development, and/or behavioral design preferred.
- Minimum of 8-10 years of practice in a large law firm and/or professional development experience in a large law firm and/or leading professional services firm required, and minimum of 4 years of diversity and inclusion work preferred. Education and/or coaching experience considered a plus.
- Evidence of delivering in a matrixed environment with many key stakeholders.
- Resilient and able to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment; delivery focused with significant drive and energy.
Apply On-lineSend This Job to a Friend
Meet Some of Goodwin Procter's Employees
Legal Recruitment Manager
Susan helps Goodwin make good hires. And once Goodwin’s new Associates and Summer Associates have arrived, she supports and coaches them in their professional development.
Back to top