Director of Business Development, Private Equity Group
The Business Development Director for Goodwin’s Private Equity Group (PEG) provides global business development and marketing support to one of the firm’s highest-growth practice over the last three years, and related areas. Reporting directly to the Managing Director of Business Development, this position requires an individual who is a self-starter, collaborative, possesses a client focused mentality and is highly service oriented. Travel between offices (including international) and to key events is expected and anticipated to be 20-25% of one’s time.
Responsibilities include helping shape the strategic positioning for PEG and related practices within the context of the Goodwin brand; developing and supporting an integrated business development plan for the practices and individual partners; supporting client relationship building initiatives; facilitating cross-selling opportunities with other practice groups; lead generation; and identifying and encouraging effective thought leadership and marketing opportunities for the attorneys. This position will also work closely with the International Director of Business Development.
The Business Development Director will be expected to:
- Initiate, encourage and support client relationship building activities and other initiatives that will help the firm to institutionalize its client base, target new clients and grow top line revenue.
o Write business development plans for primary and sub-practices.
o Work with the partners in developing and implementing personal business development plans and network expanding activities.
o Track and provide monthly updates detailing business development activity and successes (win/loss ratios, referrals, return on networking investments, upcoming activities).
- Provide input to, and support, firm wide efforts around key initiatives, working closely with the Managing Director of Business Development and other senior business development leaders.
- Oversee research and related competitive intelligence activity for key clients and prospects, working closely with the firm’s Manager of Market and Competitive Intelligence. Monitor the business development strategies and related activities of key competitors and integrate findings in to ongoing marketing and business development plans.
- Coordinate and develop responses to RFPs/RFIs and oversee content for practice pitches and proposals; add value to proposals through partner coaching, team development and targeted content; collaborate with our pricing and project management team in developing alternative fee arrangement proposals and other value adds.
- Assist in the full and complete integration of lateral attorneys and partners.
- Identify and prioritize key organizations and events in which the practice/partners will participate.
o Working with our Marketing Operations Manager, develop and manage budget for practice-related marketing memberships, sponsorships and hosted events.
o Oversee practice events, including planning, logistics, attendee targeting and ROI tracking and reporting. In some cases, attending events to help facilitate introductions and connections may be required.
o Maintain relationships with key industry and event organizations.
- Ensure practice descriptions, data sheets, web content and other marketing materials are compelling and up-to-date.
- Identify appropriate matter tracking activities and ensure appropriate details are captured in the firm’s experience management system for easy output to proposal materials.
- Identify and manage review and submission of data for all relevant league tables and deal listings for PEG and its related practices, as well as review and analysis of published results for practice leaders. Develop relevant client/prospect communications based on results and work with the communications team to identify league table rankings that merit external communications support.
- Work with communications team to create targeted, strategic submissions for practice-related and attorney rankings, surveys and awards, including Chambers, Legal 500, Am Law rankings, Best Lawyers and other industry-specific/geographic/attorney demographic awards programs.
- Work with the communications team to develop and implement public relations strategies that further the group’s goal for positive media exposure and visibility.
- Supervise and mentor a support team of business development staff.
The successful candidate will have:
- At least 9 – 11 years of experience in a business development or marketing role, ideally in an AmLaw 100 firm or large professional services firm. At least 4 years of management experience. Previous focus on private equity is strongly preferred.
- Strong writing, communication and editorial skills, with particular attention to detail.
- Strong project management and process implementation skills.
- Flexibility, willingness and ability to work with a wide variety of people and projects in a collective and collaborative manner.
- Ability to effect change and motivate a diverse group of partners.
- Travel to other Goodwin offices and key events is required.
- Minimum BA, BS or degree equivalent.
Apply On-lineSend This Job to a Friend
Meet Some of Goodwin Procter's Employees
Jordana pulls together legal transaction documents for her clients, most of whom are start-ups and many of whom are in Clean Tech.
Back to top