Business Development Specialist, Financial Industry Practice
This position requires a self-starter with the ability to work alongside the BD team to guide, direct and advise lawyers in a sophisticated marketing and business development environment.
As Business Development Specialist, you will plan, organize and implement business development activities that support the global growth of the firm and specifically the Financial Industry and Litigation Business Units.
Responsibilities include supporting initiatives that align with the groups' marketing and business development plans; execution of client relationship-building activities; tracking and reporting on business development activities; and supporting effective thought leadership campaigns.
The ideal candidate should be comfortable with both strategic and task-based responsibilities, and welcome challenges that offer opportunities for growth and professional development. The Specialist often serves as the front line of business development and marketing support to lawyers and professional staff across the firm.
- Work with the practice areas to determine effective, detailed approaches to pursuing new business while driving follow-up and implementation.
- Coordinate and develop customized responses to pitches and RFPs/RFIs and other marketing collateral for new business opportunities and client meetings; work with the Pricing and Project Management team in developing alternative fee arrangement proposals and other value adds.
- Maintain practice group/industry descriptions, web content, transaction lists, case studies and other marketing content to ensure that material is compelling and up-to-date
- Plan and oversee relationship-building activities such as client events, sponsorships and conferences in support of group goals.
o Manage event logistics, internal/external communications, budget and vendor/venue relationships.
o Develop targeted invitee mailing lists. Report on RSVPs and who-knows-whom.
o Assist attorneys with maximizing event involvement by identifying opportunities for client and target touch points.
o Proactively collect feedback after the event and encourage follow-up activities. Report on return on investment.
- Collaborate with the library and market/competitive intelligence team to review in-depth research and analysis of clients, prospects and competitors to determine a strategy for outreach.
- Work with the firm's Communications team to create targeted, strategic submissions for practice-related and attorney rankings, surveys and awards, including Chambers, Legal 500, Am Law rankings, Best Lawyers and other industry-specific/geographic/attorney demographic awards programs.
- Coach lawyers on business development, including personal business development plans. Focus lawyers in various legal practice areas on practical, effective deliverables, tracking all results stemming from these efforts.
- Track, analyze and evaluate activity associated with business development initiatives across the firm and recommend strategies to increase the initiatives' overall effectiveness;
- Support thought leadership campaigns, including project management and mining of campaign data for business development opportunities.
- Identify and partner with key industry organizations.
- Provide back-up as needed to fellow members of the Business Development team.
The successful candidate will have:
- 3-5 years of experience in marketing or professional services business development, ideally in a law firm or other professional services firm.
- Specific experience with the financial industry and litigation is helpful, but not required.
- Detail-oriented, organized, self-directed and able to manage multiple projects in a matrixed, fast-paced environment is a must.
- Flexibility and ability to work with a wide variety of people and projects in a collaborative manner, delivering exemplary customer service.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills necessary, along with strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated experience planning and managing events.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office programs including Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint and Word. Experience with InterAction or other CRM tools is a plus.
- Travel to other Goodwin offices and key events is required. International travel is possible.
- Minimum BA, BS or degree equivalent, preferably in business, marketing or a related field.
Apply On-lineSend This Job to a Friend
Meet Some of Goodwin Procter's Employees
Legal Recruitment Manager
Susan helps Goodwin make good hires. And once Goodwin’s new Associates and Summer Associates have arrived, she supports and coaches them in their professional development.
Back to top