Business Development Manager, Financial Industry Practice
Reporting to the Director of Business Development for FIN, this position requires an individual who is a self-starter, possesses a client focused mentality and is highly service-oriented.
Responsibilities include helping to shape the strategic positioning for the FIN practices within the context of the Goodwin brand; supporting client relationship-building and business development initiatives, and working with our Marketing and Communications teams to develop messaging and strategies for increasing brand visibility in our key markets.
The Marketing & Business Development Manager will work closely with the Director of Business Development to:
- Initiate and support client relationship building activities and other activities that will help the firm to institutionalize its client base and grow top line revenue.
o With the Director, work with partners to develop and implement business development plans and network expanding activities.
o Track and provide monthly updates detailing business development activities and successes (win/loss ratios, referrals, return on networking investments, upcoming activities).
- Oversee research and related competitive intelligence activities for key clients and prospects, working closely with our Marketing and Client Intelligence team to monitor the business development strategies and related activities of key competitors.
- Work with the Director on responses to RFPs/RFIs; working with various Business Unit BD Directors and the Pricing and Project Management teams in developing alterative fee arrangement proposals and other value-adds.
- Assist in the full and complete integration of lateral associates and partners.
- Identify and prioritize key organizations and events in which the practice/partners will participate.
o Develop and manage budgets for practice-related marketing memberships, sponsorships and hosted events.
o Negotiate contracts, speaking slots and other related benefits.
o Develop targeted invitee mailing lists. Report on RSVPs and who-knows-who.
o Attend events and assist attorneys with making connections at events; report on return on investment.
- Work with the Core Marketing and Communications teams on development of thought leadership campaigns.
- Work with the Core Marketing and Operations teams to ensure that practice descriptions, data sheets, experience lists, brochures, pitch decks, web content and other marketing materials are compelling and up-to-date.
- Identify appropriate matter tracking activities for the practice and ensure appropriate details are captured in the firm's experience management system for easy output to proposal materials.
- Identify and manage review and submission of data for all relevant league tables and deal listings for corporate practices, as well as review and analysis of published results for practice leaders. Develop relevant client/prospect communications based on results and work with Communications group to identify league table rankings that merit external communications support.
- Work with the firm's Communications team to create targeted, strategic submissions for practice-related and attorney rankings, surveys and awards, including Chambers, Legal 500, Am Law rankings, Best Lawyers and other industry-specific/geographic/attorney demographic awards programs.
- Work with the Communications team to develop and implement public relations strategies that further the group's goal for positive media exposure and visibility.
The successful candidate will have:
- Minimum 5+ years of experience in a practice management, business development or marketing role, ideally in an AmLaw 100 firm focused on the financial industry.
- Strong communication skills.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Strong project management and process implementation skills.
- Flexibility and ability to work with a wide variety of people and projects in a collective and collaborative manner.
- Travel to other Goodwin Procter offices is required.
- Minimum BA, BS or degree equivalent
Apply On-lineSend This Job to a Friend
Meet Some of Goodwin Procter's Employees
Legal Recruitment Manager
Susan helps Goodwin make good hires. And once Goodwin’s new Associates and Summer Associates have arrived, she supports and coaches them in their professional development.
Back to top