Business Development Manager
Reporting directly to Managing Director of Marketing and Business Development Operations, this position requires a true leader with the ability to guide, direct and advise lawyers used to operating in a sophisticated marketing and business development environment.
As Business Development Manager, IP Litigation, you will work with the IP Litigation Business Unit leader and Business Unit Director to develop the marketing and business plan and develop the strategies and tools to execute on the marketing and business plan.
Responsibilities include helping shape the strategic positioning for the practice within the context of the Goodwin brand; supporting client relationship-building initiatives; facilitating cross-selling opportunities with other practice groups; lead generation; and conceiving of, executing and supporting effective thought leadership initiatives.
The Business Development Manager, IP Litigation will work closely with the Managing Director of Marketing and Business Development Operations to:
- Initiate and support client relationship building activities and other activity that will help the firm to institutionalize its client base and grow top line revenue.
- Write business development plans for primary and sub-practices.
- Work with the partners in developing and implementing personal business development plans and network expanding activities.
- Track and provide reporting detailing business development activity and successes.
- Oversee research and related competitive intelligence activity for key clients and prospects, working closely with the firm’s Manager of Market & Competitive Intelligence. Monitor the business development strategies and related activity of key competitors.
- Coordinate and develop responses to pitches and RFPs/RFIs; work with the Pricing and Project Management team in developing alterative fee arrangement proposals and other value adds.
- Support thought leadership including project managing the development of thought leadership content, developing and executing on integrated marketing campaigns and mining of campaign data for business development opportunities.
- Assist in the full and complete integration of lateral hires.
- Identify and prioritize key organizations and events in which the practice/partners will participate.
- Develop and manage budget for practice-related marketing memberships, sponsorships and hosted events.
- Negotiate contracts, speaking slots and other related benefits.
- Develop targeted invitee mailing lists. Report on RSVPs and who-knows-whom.
- Assist attorneys with maximizing event involvement by identifying opportunities for client and target touch points; report on return on investment.
- Work with the Marketing team to ensure that practice descriptions, data sheets, web content and other marketing materials are compelling and up-to-date.
- Work with the firm’s Communications team to create targeted, strategic submissions for practice-related and attorney rankings, surveys and awards, including Chambers, Legal 500, Am Law rankings, Best Lawyers and other industry-specific/geographic/attorney demographic awards programs.
- Work with the Communications Manager to develop and implement public relations strategies that further the group’s goal for media exposure and visibility.
The successful candidate will have:
- 6 – 8 years of experience in a marketing role ideally in an Amlaw 100 or other professional services firm. Supervisory experience preferred.
- Previous experience with or knowledge of IP Litigation is helpful.
- Superior communication skills including strong writing and editorial skills, with particular attention to detail.
- Strong project management and process implementation skills.
- Flexibility and ability to work with a wide variety of people and projects in a collective and collaborative manner.
- Collaborative team player used to operating in a matrix environment.
- Travel to other Goodwin offices and key events is required.
- Minimum BA, BS or degree equivalent.
Back to top