Attorney Development Manager
This position is responsible for managing the employee life cycle of the Business Law Department ("BLD") associates in NY. The position works closely with the partners to oversee staffing/work allocation, performance and utilization. The position also partners with Human Resources and Professional Development + Training teams to ensure a positive and inclusive attorney experience as it relates to training, development, coaching, integration and onboarding, performance management and career transitioning.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Staffing / Work Allocation: Manages the attorney matter assignment system for the BLD associates in the NY office, including coordinating with partners and other supervising attorneys to identify staffing needs. Monitors workloads and professional development of attorneys and allocates additional work with an eye toward achieving an equitable distribution of assignments consistent with the clients' needs and the attorneys' individual professional development goals.
- Performance Management: Understands tools, process and strategy to ensure proper execution of the attorney performance management process. Monitors the attorney evaluations, works with the Attorney Review Committee to prepare messaging sheets, facilitates the delivery of formal reviews, and advises partners on specific and/or sensitive performance related situations and coaches attorneys on how to implement feedback received.
- Advisor Program: Working in conjunction with the other Attorney Development Managers and the Business Unit Directors, assists with the administration of the advisor program, assigns advisors to new attorneys and lateral hires, and solicits feedback from both advisors and advisees to ensure that the program is meeting its goal of enhancing attorneys' professional development. Utilizes the advisor system to communicate professional development information to attorneys as appropriate, and creates and implements mentoring initiatives. Works to make recommendations for continuous enhancement and improvement of the advisor program.
- Diversity / Inclusion: Supports the firm's Diversity and Inclusion efforts by championing and partnering to implement individual development plans for diverse attorneys. Encourages inclusion amongst attorneys and serves as a resource for attorneys with diverse backgrounds and perspectives.
- Integration / Onboarding / Transition: Partners with key internal departments to facilitate successful attorney on-boarding and integration, including conducting department orientation for new hires and building robust onboarding schedules. Coaches departing attorneys on career transitioning and conducts exit interviews.
- Training / Development: Collaborates with the Professional Development & Training Department and Business Unit leadership to develop, enhance and implement legal and professional skills training programs to support attorney development of core competencies.
- Employee Relations: Proactively consults with the Human Resources team on employee relations matters for thoughtful and efficient resolution.
- Recruitment: Partners with the Legal Recruitment team to ensure strategic workforce planning and hiring efforts are taking place in support of the Business Units' and Departments' goals and staffing needs.
- Reporting / Analytics: Produces reporting and analytics to inform Business Unit leadership on trends related to attorney demographics, hiring and retention statistics, and performance.
- Department Operations: Facilitates and fosters effective communication within and between the legal departments and between the legal departments and the rest of the firm. Performs a variety of administrative duties to ensure smooth Department operations.
RequirementsKNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES:
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to develop and forge positive and collaborative working relationships.
- Ability to demonstrate sound judgment and to respect, protect, and maintain highly confidential and sensitive information.
- Ability to effectively manage projects and tasks including demonstrating delegation and organizational skills.
- Ability to work independently, be proactive and take initiative.
- Ability to demonstrate effective creative problem solving and people management skills including coaching and mentoring.
- Working knowledge of Word, Outlook and Excel. Ability to learn and utilize additional programs.
EDUCATIONAL QUALIFICATIONS/JOB EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
Juris Doctor required.
- 5+ years of related experience, preferably in a large law firm environment.
Apply On-lineSend This Job to a Friend
Meet Some of Goodwin Procter's Employees
Legal Recruitment Manager
Susan helps Goodwin make good hires. And once Goodwin’s new Associates and Summer Associates have arrived, she supports and coaches them in their professional development.
Back to top