Senior Director of Marketing
The Senior Director of Marketing is critical to the success of Goodwill's Strategic Plan and has the opportunity to have a significant impact on the organization by working to help Goodwill build on its strong history and foundation and move to the next level of success. The key focus of the role is to ramp up a fledgling marketing and branding program to one that can support Goodwill's strategic plan and be sustained over time and to establish a marketing analytic and quantitative capacity within the organization.
The ideal Senior Director candidate will be a consummate marketing professional with demonstrated success in market research and an analysis, marketing planning, brand management, message development, traditional and interactive communications and public relations, and multi-media advertising in support of organizational objectives. The Senior Director reports to and works closely with the President and CEO. The Senior Director coordinates closely with all members of the executive team, particularly the Vice Presidents of Philanthropy and Retail Enterprise. The Communications Director will report to the Senior Director.
Management and Oversight
- Work with President and CEO to develop and implement long-range strategic marketing plans that support the Strategic Plan including coordinating advisory groups as appropriate.
- As part of the strategic marketing plan, develop and implement creative, innovative, and metrics-based marketing and communications strategies and plans that support the organization's strategic direction and growth goals.
- Explore, develop, and employ new and multi-channel marketing and communications strategies to increase awareness, constituent confidence, and participation of donors of funds and goods, while building on the successes of current programs.
- Drive the marketing components of Goodwill's budgets, annual plans, and financial and operational reporting.
- Plan, establish, analyze, and report on progress against goals. Develop benchmarks where appropriate. Provide progress reports to enable comprehensive reporting on marketing.
- Work closely with the Vice President of Philanthropy to assure integration of marketing, fundraising, events, and communications activities and the alignment of key messaging.
- Work closely with the Vice President of the Retail Enterprise to provide support the significant increase in donors of clothing and household goods required to advance the strategic plan.
Market Research and Branding
- Engage in and direct market research to define Goodwill's audiences and delineate the value propositions.
- Ensure integrity and consistency of the brand and value propositions, develop messaging by target market, determine appropriate communication vehicles and coordinate timing of delivery.
- Manage relationships with advertising and media agencies to develop and execute strategies as appropriate.
- Establish methods for measuring and evaluating Goodwill's marketing and communications efforts; monitor performance against the measures and make necessary adjustments to message, medium or channels.
- Develop a digital media strategy that identifies social media opportunities, search optimization, and content rich deployment strategies and capabilities to reach new audiences and connect with key constituency groups via these new tools.
- Provide consultative services to internal departments to support alignment of all external messaging consistent with the brand and the strategic marketing plan.
- Provide marketing expertise and leadership for Goodwill's programs, fundraising and retail initiatives through active participation in key projects and teams throughout the organization, as needed.
- Coordinate with Goodwill Industries International national campaigns.
Communication and Media Relations. Oversee the work of the Communications Director who handles communications and media relations on a day to day basis including:
- Develop key organizational publications and critical communication pieces, including writing, printing and distribution
- Oversee the organization's website, including design, content and positioning as well as all digital communication (e.g., email distribution, LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, etc.)
- Support CEO communications, including speeches and talking points, and identify opportunities for CEO presentations, interviews, and other public appearances.
- Develop media outreach to support marketing programs and initiatives.
- Assure that a current and comprehensive crisis communications plan is in place at all times.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree required; Master's preferred.
- Minimum of ten years of increasingly responsible experience in marketing, market research, brand management and planning with at least three years in management.
- Demonstrated success leading branding and marketing programs as well as communications planning and implementation.
- Knowledge of the technical aspects of marketing, brand management, market research and market segmentation.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Strong analytic and quantitative skills and ability to work with external data sources.
- Proven knowledge of electronic/social media opportunities and website maximization.
- Strong computer skills and experience overseeing technical aspects such as website development. Proficiency in Microsoft Office, particularly Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to articulate Goodwill's mission, philosophies and principles.
Goodwill is an equal opportunity employer.
Meet Some of Goodwill's Employees
Director of Vocational Services
Behind the Goodwill storefront, J-D helps individuals with barriers to employment prepare for meaningful work and fosters a community in which they will thrive.
Back to top