Technology - Platform - Runtime Practices Group - SecDBA - Associate - New York
Enterprise Platforms is dedicated to the goal of a single, unified architecture for development and runtime activities across the firm. Enterprise Platforms is a global, multi-disciplinary team responsible for researching, designing, testing and building world-class tools, practices and systems used across Goldman Sachs. Partnering with colleagues from Technology and the business, EP solves critical problems, maintains and strengthens essential systems, provides training and internal consultancy, and safeguards the firm's culture of high-caliber software engineering.
Develop, support, administer and consult in a business-critical trading infrastructure environment. As part of a transatlantic DevOps team of highly experienced engineers running a large-scale global deployment, you will be exposed to an exciting blend of engineering and operational responsibilities, with a healthy dose of risk management. We are highly leveraged, and constantly develop and enhance our toolset to assist in our delivery of a highly available service. The successful candidate will have outstanding verbal and written communications, a natural ability to learn in a fast-paced environment, and will be a self-starter with plenty of initiative.
Our team of engineers builds solutions to the most complex problems. We develop cutting-edge systems and processes that form the core of our key business and enable transactions to move in milliseconds. We provide real-time access to critical deal information and crunch billions of data points each day to inform firm-wide market insights and strategies. Team members have the opportunity to work at the forefront of technology innovation alongside industry leaders and make significant contributions to the field.
HOW YOU WILL FULFILL YOUR POTENTIAL
- Operate the SecDB database platform (an in memory proprietary database technology used throughout the firm). This involves the regular scheduled maintenance of the platform, as well as dealing with issues and providing weekend support as well as weekend changes to the platform.
- Design, develop and evolve the platform. This involves participate in coding efforts, code reviews, larger application design and architecture of the platform itself.
- Evaluation and learning of new tools, new languages, and new technologies as well as learning and adopting new and existing firm standards. Ability to do so quickly, and help others learn as well.
- Interact with internal clients on both the business and technology groups. This involves the ability to communicate in a clear and concise manner to disseminate notifications, as well as participate in discussions regarding planning, outages, and maintenance to clients of the platform worldwide.
- Specification, measurement, and verification of the infrastructure. All parameters of the infrastructure, including storage, networking, CPU, and other performance and reliability metrics must be rigorously specified, reviewed, measured and verified in a continuous fashion to ensure the platform is running on a stable foundation. This involves a deep understanding of how modern servers function, how networking functions, how storage functions, etc ? and knowledge of the firm?s methods of providing and delivering such capabilities.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCES WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- Prior experience of developing technology solutions; gained from working in investment banking/financial services industry essential
- Good academic record with demonstrable commitment to personal development and learning required
- Must have extensive experience in Shell, Perl and Python scripting
- Experience in system design and architecture required
- Must have experience in IP networking and knowledge of Kerberos, RAID, NFS and SAN storage technologies
- Experience on all aspects of SDLC process required
- Data analysis and reporting experience required
- Must have experience of troubleshooting technical queries of a large user base
- Ability to understand, configure, and diagnose issues relating to Windows, Unix or Linux OS required
- Planning skills, for creating risk-controlled scenarios around break/fix and other changes/remediation required
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills essential
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously and work under tight deadlines required
- Must be highly motivated, reliable and accountable
- Ability to work in a high stakes, stressful, online trading environment required
- Willingness to learn and use GS proprietary technology required
- Must have ability to collaborate with colleagues and clients locally and internationally
Basic Qualifications-Degree in computer science or engineering, or equivalent industry experience.
Preferred Qualifications-Programming expertise in the following languages: Python, Perl, Shell Scripting (knowledge of Java, C++, Erlang or Haskell is a strong plus).
- Experience with storage and networking stacks. Proven experience with all stages (inception, analysis, design, implementation, runtime, maintenance) in the lifecycle of large distributed systems.
- Experience with managing performance, availability and scale for mid to large sized systems.
- Experienced with software development on Windows and Linux.
- Exceptional analytical skills with a strong desire to learn.
- Works effectively and thrives in a global team organization while able to operate independently and self-motivate.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
Goldman Sachs is an equal employment/affirmative action employer Female/Minority/Disability/Vet. © The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc., 2015. All rights reserved.
Meet Some of Goldman Sachs's Employees
Private Wealth Advisor
Sabrina is an entrepreneur within Goldman Sachs’ team-driven culture—mobilizing an elite team of wealth management professionals that help high net-worth individuals identify investment solutions including trusts, endowments, and real estate.
Back to top