Technology - Platform - Process and Practices - Vice President - Jersey City, NJ
MORE ABOUT THIS JOB
Our team of engineers builds solutions to the most complex problems. We develop cutting-edge systems and processes that form the core of our key business and enable transactions to move in milliseconds. We provide real-time access to critical deal information and crunch billions of data points each day to inform firm-wide market insights and strategies. Team members have the opportunity to work at the forefront of technology innovation alongside industry leaders and make significant contributions to the field.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS
Design, engineer, deploy & lifecycle manage the firm's voice, multimedia systems, messaging platforms, desktop and productivity apps including; MS Exchange, perimeter gateways, MS Office, Outlook, Visio, Google docs, Trader voice platforms, call manager and Telepresence. The group ensures the resiliency, optimization, security and protection of our systems and the delivery and management of the firm's robust product groups.
The Goldman Sachs Process & Practices team within SPARC defines best practices, transformation opportunities, and re-engineering needs within Enterprise Technology Operations (ETO). This team also assists in developing strategy for tools by working with the engineering/development team(s) to define the requirements.
The team also assists in identifying service impacting trends throughout the environment. This team performs escalation and follow-up with engineering, application owners, and ETO managers as well as drives prioritization, creates additional efficiencies, and helps to enhance the overall client experience.
HOW YOU WILL FULFILL YOUR POTENTIAL
- Manage transformational projects and drive work stream towards major milestone achievement. Encourage creativity and out of the box thinking in creating solutions and elevating the workspace to the next level.
- Work as part of a global unit providing support and insight among the SPARC disciplines.
- Drive transformation opportunities within ETO Management for all Business Units within ETO.
- Interact with the other work streams within SPARC as part of the transformation, process change, root cause initiative, or tool enhancement.
- Ensure emphasis around strategic, global planning.
- Evaluate, recommend, and steer towards building efficiencies and automation. Strive for globally consistent processes at all times.
- Assist in the development of staffing models and in the creation of reporting templates.
- Partner with development team in the creation of agent/production engineer empowerment tools and enhancements to streamline and simplify the execution of user support. Gain a higher level of environmental awareness and knowledge through system integration.
- Cultivate workplace social networking by providing platforms and forums to enable interactions and self-help communities.
- Assist with deep dives and establish pattern matching. Uncover the root cause behind issues and provide detailed evidence to product owners.
- Identify user training opportunities to reduce support calls and increase user productivity.
- Discover problem trends reported by end-users and prioritize re-engineering action items for all areas within ETO.
- Build upon services taxonomy/namespace to assist in the consistent categorization of CSO activities. Make recommendations in additional enhancements to better capture symptoms and deficiencies in the environment.
- Tie in quality broadly and ensure adherence to foundational quality measures that have been established.
- Introduce new methodologies.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- Quickly identifies priorities or issues in a complex situation
- Applies cost/benefit analyses in the setting of priorities
- Identifies inconsistencies or discrepancies that are not obvious
- Anticipates potential obstacles and develops contingency plans
- Is aware of the interactions between all parts of the system
- Decisions show an awareness of business priorities and fiscal responsibility
- Knows enough about the business served to form an independent view of client needs
- Is clear and persistent in defining mutual expectations with clients
- Forms partnerships with clients by developing shared accountability
- Ensures commitments to clients are met or exceeded
- Challenges client thinking and brings new ideas to facilitate a better result
- Modifies project approach when appropriate and needed
Communication and Influence:
- Regularly shares important information with team and client Communicates good and bad news candidly in a timely fashion
- Solicits and listens to others
- Input and concerns and appropriately follows up
- Guides group discussion toward consensus
- Influences others to gain their cooperation
- Presents ideas clearly and persuasively
- Adapts influence strategies to the needs and motives of the group
Initiative and Ownership:
- Drives to achieve quality results
- Willingly accepts increased responsibilities
- Persists and finds ways to overcome obstacles
- Proactively seeks ways to improve a system or relationship
- Solicits feedback to modify approach and behavior
- Relates to all employees with fairness and respect
- Encourages teamwork and uses the power of the group to solve problems
- Provides guidance and coaching to team members
- Provides opportunities for team members that increase their professional development
- Works to build a sense of common purpose across all work groups, avoiding an us vs. them attitude Understands, respects and values all team members regardless of their diverse backgrounds
- Knows the key influences and decision making processes in the organization
- Recognizes which issues are worth pursuing and when it is time to compromise
- Considers one's actions or policies from the point of view of other parts of the organization
- Takes broader organizational view when solving problems
- Anticipates potential obstacles and develops contingency plans to overcome them
- Alerts appropriate parties immediately upon discovery of potential problems
- Communicates status and risks in a direct and open manner
Technical Skills and Knowledge:
- Maintains awareness of new and existing technologies, architectures and best practices
- Contributes to development of new or existing technologies, architectures or best practices
- Encourages flexible and adaptable architectures
- Uses judgment and experiences to adapt processes and tools to projects
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Technical proficiency with Windows platform
- Some technical background across infrastructure technologies, e.g. network, voice, unix
- Must be able to efficiently document process and procedures
- Teamwork - This position involves not only working well with others within one team but with many resolution groups globally.
- Ability to work independently, analyze problems, and make decisions with minimal management intervention
- Proactively involve key technology infrastructure teams when necessary
- Ability to anticipate potential obstacles and develop contingency plans to overcome them
- Awareness of new and existing technologies, architectures, and best practice
- Ability to manage multiple issues simultaneously in high pressure environment where change is commonplace.
- The ability to work within an open, consensus based organization
- Individual must be able to handle multiple interrupts and be able to multi-task effectively
- Ability to diligently follow standards and best practices for many different technology areas
- Adhere to the firm's basic business principles
ABOUT GOLDMAN SACHS
The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. is a leading global investment banking, securities and investment management firm that provides a wide range of financial services to a substantial and diversified client base that includes corporations, financial institutions, governments and individuals. Founded in 1869, the firm is headquartered in New York and maintains offices in all major financial centers around the world.
© The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc., 2017. All rights reservedGoldman Sachs is an equal employment/affirmative action employer Female/Minority/Disability/Vet.
Meet Some of Goldman Sachs's Employees
Software Engineer, Equities
Using a variety of languages, like Java and Python, Kelsey designs and builds integrated software applications used in Goldman Sachs’ equities business.
Back to top