Technology - Platform - Middleware Engineering - DBA - Vice President - Jersey City
MORE ABOUT THIS JOB
Our team of engineers builds solutions to the most complex problems. We develop cutting-edge systems and processes that form the core of our key business and enable transactions to move in milliseconds. We provide real-time access to critical deal information and crunch billions of data points each day to inform firm-wide market insights and strategies. Team members have the opportunity to work at the forefront of technology innovation alongside industry leaders and make significant contributions to the field.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS
The database engineer will:
- Work with application development teams to provide advanced troubleshooting support, performance and tuning, guidance, and best practices
- Participate in the design and implementation of database infrastructure and automation
- Responsible for effectively managing the day-to-day tasks in coordination with provisioning teams and developers to meet deliverables.
- Provide this level of service across the wide range of RDBMS platforms: Sybase ASE, DB2 UDB, Sybase IQ, and others
Middleware Engineering provides software based infrastructure solutions and subject matter expertise to application teams. This group ensures the firm is positioned for emerging technology offerings and spans Big Data, Machine Learning, Database, Messaging, Java, App Entitlement Management, Market Data, External Financial Messaging and related engineering efforts.
Database Engineering covers a range of products from DB platforms to Automation/Self-service offerings. A successful candidate will become familiar with all of these platforms and become proficient in several in order to drive the DB as service strategy. Strategic engagement with application development teams to provide timely end-to-end delivery of appropriate platform solutions. Interfacing with application and development community to analyze and resolve escalations. Continually evaluating the operation of the environment and assisting in optimizing the delivery of the products to clients. Providing technical guidance on established infrastructure best practices to IT community and business. Partnering with engineering teams to understand technology offerings and how they can be applied to solve business problems. Responsible for reduction in operational overhead by building automated / self-service tools using both scripting and high level programming languages. Driving strategic initiatives and delivery of key programs of work across Database Engineering
HOW YOU WILL FULFILL YOUR POTENTIAL
- Advanced database administration skills with Sybase ASE or DB2 UDB
- Advanced skills in troubleshooting, performance & tuning, DB modeling
- Strong communication - ability to articulate thoughts clearly and influence
- Working knowledge of scripting languages, ie Python, Perl, Shell
- Working knowledge of the Unix/Linux Operating systems
- Strong ability to work as part of a global team
- Knowledge/experience with NoSQL products, ie Hadoop, MongoDB
- Knowledge/experience with Java, Scala
ABOUT GOLDMAN SACHS
The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. is a leading global investment banking, securities and investment management firm that provides a wide range of financial services to a substantial and diversified client base that includes corporations, financial institutions, governments and individuals. Founded in 1869, the firm is headquartered in New York and maintains offices in all major financial centers around the world.
© The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc., 2017. All rights reservedGoldman Sachs is an equal employment/affirmative action employer Female/Minority/Disability/Vet.
Meet Some of Goldman Sachs's Employees
Software Engineer, Equities
Using a variety of languages, like Java and Python, Kelsey designs and builds integrated software applications used in Goldman Sachs’ equities business.
Back to top