Risk Division, Credit Risk Management, Debt Underwriting Group, Associate/Vice President, Hong Kong
The Risk division is responsible for credit, market and operational risk, model risk, independent liquidity risk, and insurance throughout the firm.
Through risk taking decisions you make, you are striking a balance between risk and rewards for the firm in the most efficient way to enhance shareholder value. You will become a risk expert with in-depth knowledge in many industries. Your daily decisions will ensure that the firm's risk appetite statement and risk-taking philosophy are consistently executed. You are the safeguard of the firm's capital through economic cycles.
HOW YOU WILL FULFILL YOUR POTENTIAL
The Debt Underwriting Group (DUG) is responsible for risk management and quality control of debt underwritings globally, which include deal commitments, relationship loans and best efforts debt financings. The Group works very closely with the Firmwide Capital Committee (and its subcommittees) which approve these transactions. The Group is collocated with the Financing Group of the Investment Banking Division, but is part of Risk Division. The Group works closely with Investment Banking and all of the Control areas of the Firm to make sure that debt transactions are reviewed and efficiently handled pursuant to the Firm's policies to ensure the highest quality debt underwriting process. DUG has four components. 1) Underwriting Officer Group, 2) Bank Debt Portfolio Group, 3) Loan Negotiation Group and 4) Relationship Lending Group. This position relates to the Underwriting Officer Group. The candidate will work as a debt underwriter working closely with the senior debt underwriter in the region and the committee secretaries. Debt underwriters are responsible for overseeing the quality of IBD's loan and bond underwritings and work closely with senior leaders on the risk and business side as well as with many investment banking teams and control areas.
As an Senior Associate/Vice President in DUG based in Hong Kong, the responsibilities may include the following:
- Primary responsibility for review of financing transactions and provide guidance on the key focus areas, which could include structuring, diligence and distribution
- Work closely with other control areas to address key issues prior to committee review, provide potential solutions to address concerns and ensure the firm's standards are maintained
- Write deal summaries or provide verbal postings for committee chairs and others
- Follow-up with teams on memo quality and status
- Direct and provide guidance to IBD teams regarding Capital Committee rules and processes
- Ensure all Capital Committee and Firm processes for memos are followed
- Ensure committee agendas are accurate
- Review and comment on follow-ups and minutes
- Work with team to complete follow-ups and documented properly
- Review changes to transactions post committee to determine if they need to be elevated and reapproved
- Review status of approved transactions and keep relevant people posted
- Ensure firm commitments are booked on an accurate and timely basis
- Keep updated on exposures relative to limits
- Help maintain committee memo templates and other resources
- Assist with regulator requests
- Various presentations and special projects
RESPONSIBILITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Minimum 5-6 years of leveraged finance, credit or relevant experience
- Strong analytical skills for credit, business and financial analysis
- Excellent multitasking abilities required
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- An ability to implement solutions that appropriately balance business needs and a control perspective is critical
- Proactive team player with a strong sense of urgency and the ability to get along with others
- Must work well under pressure and have a positive, hands-on, "can do" attitude
- Ability to stay connected outside work day hours and weekends given deal timelines
- Mandarin speaker preferable
ABOUT GOLDMAN SACHS
The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. is a leading global investment banking, securities and investment management firm that provides a wide range of financial services to a substantial and diversified client base that includes corporations, financial institutions, governments and individuals. Founded in 1869, the firm is headquartered in New York and maintains offices in all major financial centers around the world.
© The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc., 2018. All rights reserved Goldman Sachs is an equal employment/affirmative action employer Female/Minority/Disability/Vet.
See Inside the Office of Goldman Sachs
The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. is a leading global investment banking, securities, and investment management firm that provides a wide range of financial services to a substantial and diversified client base that includes corporations, financial institutions, governments, and individuals. Founded in 1869, the firm is headquartered in New York and maintains offices in all major financial centers around the world.
Back to top