Risk Division, Credit Risk Management, Credit Risk Officer, Associate/Vice President, Tokyo
The Risk division is responsible for credit, market and operational risk, model risk, independent liquidity risk, and insurance throughout the firm.
Through credit risk taking decisions you make, you are striking a balance between risk and rewards for the firm in the most efficient way to enhance shareholder value. You will become a risk expert with in-depth knowledge in many industries. Your daily decisions will ensure that the firm's risk appetite statement and risk-taking philosophy are consistently executed. You are the safeguard of the firm's capital through economic cycles.
HOW YOU WILL FULFILL YOUR POTENTIAL
The Credit Risk Management Department (CRM) is a central part of Goldman Sachs' risk management framework, with primary responsibility for assessing, monitoring and managing credit risk at the Firm. CRM is staffed globally with offices including New York, London, Salt Lake City, Singapore, Hong Kong and Tokyo. Understanding the credit quality of corporations, financial institutions and governments worldwide is an essential aspect of the firm's ability to be an effective financial intermediary. CRM professionals with expertise in financial, credit and risk analysis work closely with many areas of the firm as well as clients, offering a unique opportunity to gain a broad perspective on the activities of the Firm. CRM partners with other divisions in the firm and externally with clients to support the firm's wide array of banking and trading businesses. CRM professionals are part of the value proposition of the firm and balance our key functional responsibility of control with that of being commercial. CRM has strong traditions of risk management, client service excellence and career development opportunities for our people.
As an Associate or Vice President in CRM based in Tokyo, the responsibilities may include the following:
- Provide senior credit risk management coverage of a portfolio of clients in Asia
- Assess the business and financial strength of the firm's trading counterparts to determine acceptable levels of credit exposure and monitor credit quality
- Analyze the risks inherent in the products GS trades, including increasingly complex derivatives transactions
- Represent credit views at various internal committees
- Coordinate with Investment Banking/Capital Markets, Sales & Trading, Legal, Operations and Compliance departments to approve business and ensure appropriate documentation, limits and risk mitigates to protect against a counterpart default and minimize potential losses
- Monitor credit trends in the portfolio, perform distressed analysis and estimate potential impairments
- Develop and manage relationships with colleagues from the broader CRM department as well as with other areas of the firm
RESPONSIBILITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Approximately 8 or more years of experience within a credit risk management role (other financial analytical backgrounds can be considered)
- Track record of independent decision-making and the ability to steer client and business negotiations
- Strong analytical skills with ability to rapidly grasp the mechanics of various financial products.
- Experience in investment banking products including derivatives and loan products.
- Strong interpersonal skills and self-motivation
- Able to communicate at the senior levels.
- Must be able to supervise, motivate and provide guidance to juniors on the team.
- Strong work ethic
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple assignments concurrently
ABOUT GOLDMAN SACHS
The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. is a leading global investment banking, securities and investment management firm that provides a wide range of financial services to a substantial and diversified client base that includes corporations, financial institutions, governments and individuals. Founded in 1869, the firm is headquartered in New York and maintains offices in all major financial centers around the world.
© The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc., 2019. All rights reserved Goldman Sachs is an equal employment/affirmative action employer Female/Minority/Disability/Vet.
Back to top