Platform - Middleware Engineering - Senior Database Engineer
What We Do
At Goldman Sachs, our Engineers don't just make things - we make things possible. Change the world by connecting people and capital with ideas. Solve the most challenging and pressing engineering problems for our clients. Join our engineering teams that build massively scalable software and systems, architect low latency infrastructure solutions, proactively guard against cyber threats, and leverage machine learning alongside financial engineering to continuously turn data into action. Create new businesses, transform finance, and explore a world of opportunity at the speed of markets.
Engineering, which is comprised of our Technology Division and global strategists groups, is at the critical center of our business, and our dynamic environment requires innovative strategic thinking and immediate, real solutions. Want to push the limit of digital possibilities? Start here.
Who We Look For
Goldman Sachs Engineers are innovators and problem-solvers, building solutions in risk management, big data, mobile and more. We look for creative collaborators who evolve, adapt to change and thrive in a fast-paced global environment.
MIDDLEWARE ENGINEERING provides software based infrastructure solutions
and subject matter expertise to application teams. This group ensures the firm is positioned
for emerging technology offerings and spans Big Data, Machine Learning, Database, Messaging, Java, App Entitlement Management, Market Data, External Financial Messaging and related engineering efforts.
The database engineer will
• work with application development teams to provide advanced troubleshooting support, performance and tuning, guidance, and best practices
• participate in the design and implementation of database infrastructure and automation
• responsible for effectively managing the day-to-day tasks in coordination with provisioning teams and developers to meet deliverables.
• provide this level of service across the wide range of RDBMS platforms: Sybase ASE, DB2 UDB, Sybase IQ, and others
RESPONSIBILITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS
HOW YOU WILL FULFILL YOUR POTENTIAL
• Database Engineering covers a range of products from DB platforms to Automation/Self-service offerings. A successful candidate will become familiar with all of these platforms and become proficient in several in order to drive the DB as service strategy. Strategic engagement with application development teams to provide timely end-to-end delivery of appropriate platform solutions. Interfacing with application and development community to analyze and resolve escalations. Continually evaluating the operation of the environment and assisting in optimizing the delivery of the products to clients. Providing technical guidance on established infrastructure best practices to IT community and business. Partnering with engineering teams to understand technology offerings and how they can be applied to solve business problems. Responsible for reduction in operational overhead by building automated / self-service tools using both scripting and high level programming languages. Driving strategic initiatives and delivery of key programs of work across Database Engineering
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE WE ARE LOOKING FOR
• • Advanced database administration skills with Sybase ASE or DB2 UDB • Advanced skills in troubleshooting, performance & tuning, DB modeling • Strong communication - ability to articulate thoughts clearly and influence • Working knowledge of scripting languages, ie Python, Perl, Shell • Working knowledge of the Unix/Linux Operating systems • Strong ability to work as part of a global team
• • Knowledge/experience with NoSQL products, ie Hadoop, MongoDB • Knowledge/experience with Java, Scala
ABOUT GOLDMAN SACHS
The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. is a leading global investment banking, securities and investment management firm that provides a wide range of financial services to a substantial and diversified client base that includes corporations, financial institutions, governments and individuals. Founded in 1869, the firm is headquartered in New York and maintains offices in all major financial centers around the world.
Â© The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc., 2018. All rights reserved Goldman Sachs is an equal employment/affirmative action employer Female/Minority/Disability/Vet.
Back to top