Operations Engineering - Derivative Data Engineering - Software Developer
WHAT WE DO
At Goldman Sachs, our Engineers don't just make things - we make things possible. Change the world by connecting people and capital with ideas. Solve the most challenging and pressing engineering problems for our clients. Join our engineering teams that build massively scalable software and systems, architect low latency infrastructure solutions, proactively guard against cyber threats, and leverage machine learning alongside financial engineering to continuously turn data into action. Create new businesses, transform finance, and explore a world of opportunity at the speed of markets.
Engineering, which is comprised of our Technology Division and global strategists groups, is at the critical center of our business, and our dynamic environment requires innovative strategic thinking and immediate, real solutions. Want to push the limit of digital possibilities? Start here.
WHO WE LOOK FOR
Goldman Sachs Engineers are innovators and problem-solvers, building solutions in risk management, big data, mobile and more. We look for creative collaborators who evolve, adapt to change and thrive in a fast-paced global environment.
The Operations Division is the engine room that powers Goldman Sachs, and Operations Technology is driving their industrialization through automation, digitization and orchestration
The Derivative Data Engineering team develops and enhances critical components of the post-execution derivatives trade processing platform. We undertake a key role in the architecture of the derivatives platform, and our success contributes directly to the efficient functioning of the firm's trading and sales operations on a day-to-day basis. The team are responsible for the development of a model driven, highly scalable, high performance, data storage and distribution framework. This provides low latency access for online processing, and leverages big data technologies for analytic processing. The team is passionate about solving complex technical problems, delivering innovative, resilient and performant systems. As a member of our team you will work closely with business and technical colleagues locally, and in London, New York and Bengaluru, to solve challenging technical problems, and deliver cutting-edge technical solutions to meet evolving business demands. Effective problem-solving, consensus building, and a highly-developed analytical and technical skill set are essential to your success. We run an Agile (Scrum) team with iterative feedback loops with our clients and continual improvement of the team's processes. We are looking for talented engineers who have a thirst for learning and are passionate about building innovative solutions.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS
HOW YOU WILL FULFILL YOUR POTENTIAL
- You will work in a small core technology team located in Warsaw and London building a critical platform for a global organization.
- In your daily job you will be exposed to a very challenging problem space - data processing of a very complex domain (derivative contracts). The main product built by the team is a model driven, highly scalable and performant OLTP data storage and distribution platform. It provides low latency random access to TBs of documents, with tens of thousands of reads per second at peak.
- We leverage Hadoop, Spark, ElasticSearch and other big data technologies for analytic processing. Streaming use cases are handled by Kafka and JMS.
- A premium is placed on the performance and resilience of our services as outages could have reputational or financial implications for the firm.
- Our team is invested heavily in observability of managed systems through structured logging (Kibana), metrics, alerting and tracing (Zipkin). Thanks to that, support load tends to be low.
- The Derivative Data Engineering team develops and enhances critical components of the post-execution derivatives trade processing platform. We undertake a key role in the architecture of the derivatives platform, and our success contributes directly to the efficient functioning of the firm's trading and sales operations on a day-to-day basis.
- You will learn about the different business lines that we support including Commodities, FX, Interest Rates, Credit, Equities, Repo and Stock Loan.
- You will deliver new features by leveraging a variety of technologies including Java 8, Spring, Linux, SQL, ElasticSearch, Kafka, Spark and Hadoop.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- Experience in a broad range of open source technologies, and a desire to learn more, with a willingness to contribute new ideas and opinions to the team.
- A passion for solving complex technical problems, delivering innovative, resilient and performant systems.
- Good communication skills - we work collaboratively with colleagues in different locations across the globe.
- Advanced programming skills in Java and/or Scala
- Experience in SQL and NoSQL databases
- Experience in distributed architectures, messaging systems, streaming and big data solutions
- Strong knowledge of data structures, algorithms and distributed algorithms, and designing for performance and resiliency
- Experience of managing complexity in software
- Runtime engineering practices like metrics, tracing, structured logging
- Experience in software deployment automation
Development (including analysis): 80%
Support: 0%-20% (team invests in resolving root causes, so issues tend to be interesting distributed systems failure modes)
Working style: agile
Tech team location: London, Warsaw
Direct team size: 7
ABOUT GOLDMAN SACHS
The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. is a leading global investment banking, securities and investment management firm that provides a wide range of financial services to a substantial and diversified client base that includes corporations, financial institutions, governments and individuals. Founded in 1869, the firm is headquartered in New York and maintains offices in all major financial centers around the world.
Â© The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc., 2018. All rights reserved Goldman Sachs is an equal employment/affirmative action employer Female/Minority/Disability/Vet.
Back to top