MBD, Corporate Investing, Private Credit Group, New York, Associate
The Goldman Sachs Merchant Banking Division ("MBD") invests both the firm's own capital and capital raised from outside investors. The Private Credit Group ("PCG") within MBD originates investments across senior secured loans, mezzanine/unsecured debt, preferred equity and opportunistic credit. PCG, with investment professionals based in New York and London, is one of the largest originators of direct credit in the world, with a track record of $70+bn deployed since 1996.
PCG associates work as part of small deal teams responsible for identifying, diligencing, structuring, executing and monitoring corporate debt investments. Associates are involved in a wide range of high profile transactions across the capital structure and in a variety of industries in support of transactions that include leveraged buy-outs, take privates, add-on acquisitions and recapitalizations.
Importantly, the majority of current PCG investment professionals entered the group through the associate program. As such, the PCG associate role is viewed not as a traditional buy-side "two-years-and-out" associate program, but rather as the primary entry point for an upward trajectory career path within MBD.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Originating investment ideas across the product suite of the Private Credit Group team via early engagement with financial sponsors and company management teams
- Engaging in all aspects of due diligence and business analysis to develop and refine investment theses
- Participating in structuring, negotiating and documenting investments
- Communicating and defending investment theses to internal stakeholders and committees, including the MBD Investment Committee
- Actively monitoring existing investments in the portfolio
- Building relationships with sponsors, management teams and internal GS stakeholders
- Training more junior team members with respect to quantitative and analytical skills and facilitating the development of investment judgments
- 2-3 years of experience (pre-MBA) in the financial services industry, preferably investment banking or buy side
- Strong quantitative, financial modeling, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Passion for fundamental credit investing
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Flexible and creative mindset; ability to analyze a variety of industries and businesses
- Ability to self-direct, analyze and evaluate and form independent judgments
- Ability to interact and build relationships with a wide variety of people
ABOUT GOLDMAN SACHS
The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. is a leading global investment banking, securities and investment management firm that provides a wide range of financial services to a substantial and diversified client base that includes corporations, financial institutions, governments and individuals. Founded in 1869, the firm is headquartered in New York and maintains offices in all major financial centers around the world.
© The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc., 2019. All rights reserved Goldman Sachs is an equal employment/affirmative action employer Female/Minority/Disability/Vet.
Back to top