Legal, Private Wealth Management Lawyer, Vice President/Executive Director, London
We work at the intersection of finance and law, providing counsel and advice that support activities across the firm. We handle litigation and arbitration, perform research and due diligence, aid in financing and legal filings, deal with contracts and intellectual property rights that show our commitment to clients, shareholders, and regulators. Whether you're an experienced attorney or a quick learner with a strong interest in financial law coupled with critical thinking skills, our dynamic group might be right for you.
WHO WE ARE
Private Wealth Management (PWM) is part of the Investment Management Division of Goldman Sachs. PWM provides a comprehensive range of investment services, including discretionary investment management, investment advice, brokerage services and lending, to wealthy individuals and families worldwide, across a diversified range of asset classes, including equities, fixed income, structured products, derivatives, hedge funds and other alternative investments. PWM in London focuses primarily on individuals, families and family offices based in the EU, Russia, Switzerland, the Middle East and Africa, who invest through a wide variety of investment vehicles including corporates, trusts, partnerships, regulated and unregulated funds, in a broad range of jurisdictions. Currently, PWM in EMEA is supported by five lawyers in London with other lawyers in Zurich and Frankfurt, all of whom regularly work closely with colleagues in PWM Legal in the US and Asia.
We are looking to recruit an enthusiastic, proactive and robust candidate who is interested in a broad, challenging and rewarding role. The role requires the ability to work independently from day one and to manage a diverse and complex workload meeting tight deadlines. Lawyers in our team work closely with a diverse group of clients across the PWM business and thrive on the pressures of delivering consistently high quality advice to a dynamic and constantly evolving business.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Advising Private Wealth Advisors on all aspects of the client relationship, from pitches through to the structuring of accounts and account opening procedures, negotiation of account documentation and investment restrictions, support on transaction-specific questions, the margin and risk management process and new products.
- Advising PWM Management on a variety of business issues, including new business initiatives, impact of regulation, material account-related issues and issues relating to the structure of the business.
- Advising on the current regulatory regime in the UK and other jurisdictions, both in the EU and elsewhere, as well as the analysis and implementation of new regulations.
- Advising PWM product specialists on all aspects of product development, documentation and trading, including mutual and alternative funds, fixed income securities, FX, structured products and derivatives.
- Advising and liaising with PWM compliance professionals on a wide range of issues, such as interpretation of regulations, account activity and surveillance.
- Advising on policy development - introducing new policies in response to new legislation and revising current policies to meet the needs of the business.
- Liaising with other lawyers in the Goldman Sachs Legal Department globally in relation to specific product or other issues, including cross border activity.
- Liaising with outside counsel on a broad range of domestic and cross border jurisdictional issues, including licensing and selling restrictions, and enforceability of collateral arrangements.
- Minimum of 5 years' as a qualified lawyer (ideally with experience in advising a PWM business and/or mutual and alternative funds)
- Previous experience of working within a regulated environment (ideally with retail clients) as well as regulatory reform
- Knowledge and experience of (some or all of) the products offered by PWM
- Strong communication and drafting skills
Candidates are expected to have relevant post-qualification experience either with a major law firm or as in-house counsel. Knowledge of a major European language would be useful.
ABOUT GOLDMAN SACHS
The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. is a leading global investment banking, securities and investment management firm that provides a wide range of financial services to a substantial and diversified client base that includes corporations, financial institutions, governments and individuals. Founded in 1869, the firm is headquartered in New York and maintains offices in all major financial centers around the world.
© The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc., 2018. All rights reserved Goldman Sachs is an equal employment/affirmative action employer Female/Minority/Disability/Vet.
See Inside the Office of Goldman Sachs
The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. is a leading global investment banking, securities, and investment management firm that provides a wide range of financial services to a substantial and diversified client base that includes corporations, financial institutions, governments, and individuals. Founded in 1869, the firm is headquartered in New York and maintains offices in all major financial centers around the world.
Back to top