Legal, Leveraged Finance Lawyer, Associate, London
WHO WE ARE
The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. is a leading global financial services firm providing investment banking, securities and investment management services to a substantial and diversified client base that includes corporations, financial institutions, governments and high-net-worth individuals. The firm is headquartered in New York and maintains offices in London, Frankfurt, Tokyo, Hong Kong and other major financial centres around the world.
The Goldman Sachs Legal department spans offices across 23 cities worldwide, from which we provide counsel and advice to support the global activities of the firm and our clients . Our focus is on providing the highest quality legal advice while managing regulatory and reputational risk. Whether you are an experienced lawyer or have other relevant experience combined with an interest in financial law and strong critical thinking skills, our team might be right for you.
OUR DEPARTMENT CULTURE
As a department we are focussed on our people and their development and are committed to creating an environment that is diverse and inclusive. We offer numerous training and career development opportunities including a weekly legal training programme, department mentoring schemes and a people development committee tasked with providing tangible tools to help manage and develop careers. The department also has a number of active and varied committees including the Diversity, Pro Bono, Charity and Social Committees and encourages participation in the Women's, Black and LGBT firm wide affinity networks.
BUSINESS UNIT AND ROLE OVERVIEW
We are seeking an experienced debt financing lawyer to join our legal team servicing Goldman Sachs' credit finance businesses in EMEA with a key role in coverage of loan origination. The successful candidate will work in the firm's legal department with a high level of interaction with credit finance and other relevant business and non-business areas involved in our bank loans business. The role will be overseen by two senior lawyers and assistance provided by a team of trainee solicitors on secondment.
The legal team is expected to be pro-active in guiding the business areas on legal matters and substantial transactional involvement will be a feature of this position.
- Involvement on all aspects of a wide range of high profile debt financing transactions including leveraged buy-outs and re-financings, structured finance, real estate finance, acquisition financings, public-to-private transactions, investment grade syndicated loans and growth market loans.
- Working with teams on structuring issues and regulatory/reputational concerns
- Responsibility for the review and negotiation of support letters, commitment documents, term sheets, loan agreements, intercreditor agreements and related documentation in conjunction with external counsel.
- High level of interaction on all aspects of loan syndication, including information memoranda, sales issues and market developments.
- Key role reviewing and negotiating post execution amendments including involvement in restructurings, refinancings and work-outs.
- Regulatory aspects of our bank loans business.
- Participation in the credit review process relating to loan transactions and interaction with senior management in the loans area.
- Liaise and co-ordinate with other relevant groups throughout the firm, including other teams in the legal department, credit, loan operations, secondary trade deal closers, compliance, regulatory controllers, management controls and tax.
- Responsibility for relationships with external counsel in the loans area and involvement on conflicts clearance for leveraged finance opportunities.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE WE'RE LOOKING FOR
- Good team player, dynamic and capable of working proactively on a wide range of issues in a fast-paced environment.
- UK, US or EU qualified.
- 2 to 4 year post qualification experience in a law firm; previous in-house experience (including on secondment) an advantage.
ABOUT GOLDMAN SACHS
The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. is a leading global investment banking, securities and investment management firm that provides a wide range of financial services to a substantial and diversified client base that includes corporations, financial institutions, governments and individuals. Founded in 1869, the firm is headquartered in New York and maintains offices in all major financial centers around the world.
© The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc., 2018. All rights reserved Goldman Sachs is an equal employment/affirmative action employer Female/Minority/Disability/Vet.
Back to top