Legal, Investment Banking Division Attorney
MORE ABOUT THIS JOB
LEGALWe work at the intersection of finance and law, providing counsel and advice that support activities across the firm. We handle litigation and arbitration, perform research and due diligence, aid in financing and legal filings, deal with contracts and intellectual property rights that show our commitment to clients, shareholders, and regulators. Whether you're an experienced attorney or a quick learner with a strong interest in financial law coupled with critical thinking skills, our dynamic group might be right for you
The Investment Banking Division Legal Group (IBD Legal) provides legal advice and investment banking transaction execution expertise to the Firm's Investment Banking Division, including the Financing Group, worldwide. It is the mission of IBD Legal to provide high-quality legal and policy advice relating to the Firm's broad investment banking businesses and help ensure value-added execution of transactions undertaken by the Investment Banking Division while protecting the interests of Goldman Sachs. IBD Legal is involved in virtually every investment banking and capital markets financing transaction and has a wide range of responsibilities, which vary in response to the needs of different product areas, industries and regions. The role of IBD Legal is dynamic, has evolved over time and is expected to continue to evolve in response to the changing needs of Goldman Sachs' many businesses.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS
Job Description-Specific Responsibilities:
- Legal advisor to the Investment Banking Division
- Advise IBD bankers on legal, policy, reputational and commercial issues on specific IBD matters (e.g., conflicts, business practices, non-standard opinions, regulatory issues, conducting business in new markets around the globe).
- IBD Legal members are frequently called upon to provide advice and answer questions or to become involved in resolving issues or problems that arise, often in difficult situations involving extreme time pressure and client sensitivity
- Financial advisory / private placement assignments
- Assist in reviewing and negotiating the terms of financial advisory engagement letters relating to strategic transactions, private placement agency letters as well as other agreements and letters entered into by the Firm with IBD clients.
- Corporate repurchase programs
- Advise IBD/ECM bankers and the corporate repurchase desk in the Securities Division on 10b5-1 plans and other corporate repurchase programs; negotiate and draft repurchase plans and documents with corporate clients
Policies and Procedures:
- Advise on, develop and implement new policies, standard procedures, documentation and best practices in response to changes in law and regulation as well as business practices and objectives.
- Train bankers on new developments, best practices and legal and compliance matters
- Lawyer with a minimum of four years of experience (would also consider candidates with a different experience profile)
- Candidate must demonstrate a strong grounding in corporate law and practice and experience in contract negotiation
- Relevant experience either with a reputable law firm or as in-house counsel
- Previous in-house counsel experience within a financial institution
- M&A transactional and/or fairness opinion experience
ABOUT GOLDMAN SACHS
The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. is a leading global investment banking, securities and investment management firm that provides a wide range of financial services to a substantial and diversified client base that includes corporations, financial institutions, governments and individuals. Founded in 1869, the firm is headquartered in New York and maintains offices in all major financial centers around the world.
© The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc., 2017. All rights reservedGoldman Sachs is an equal employment/affirmative action employer Female/Minority/Disability/Vet.
Meet Some of Goldman Sachs's Employees
Private Wealth Advisor
Sabrina is an entrepreneur within Goldman Sachs’ team-driven culture—mobilizing an elite team of wealth management professionals that help high net-worth individuals identify investment solutions including trusts, endowments, and real estate.
Back to top