Legal - Employment Law Group - VP - New York
We work at the intersection of finance and law, providing counsel and advice that support activities across the firm. We handle litigation and arbitration, perform research and due diligence, aid in financing and legal filings, deal with contracts and intellectual property rights that show our commitment to clients, shareholders, and regulators. Whether you're an experienced attorney or a quick learner with a strong interest in financial law coupled with critical thinking skills, our dynamic group might be right for you.
The Employment Law Group (ELG) provides legal support to all divisions across the firm. ELG is responsible for all employment related litigation, including class actions and regulatory matters. Working closely with the Human Capital Management (HCt)Division, ELG provides advice and strategic input to the handling of employee relations matters as well as providing support and advice in relation to (amongst other things) the firm's risk, benefits and mobility programs, diversity, recruitment, acquisitions and divestitures.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Handling employment-related disputes, including managing external counsel where appropriate and coordinating with appropriate internal teams including employee relations and compliance
- Responsibility for drafting and reviewing employment documentation such as offer letters, severance letters, workplace rules and policies
- Review and monitor employment law developments in areas of coverage and address potential impact on the firm's HCM strategy
- Review and advise on staffing aspects of mergers, acquisitions and other corporate transactions
- Coordination with other relevant groups throughout the firm, including Legal, Compliance, Tax, Compensation and ensuring that Goldman Sachs standards are incorporated into the handling of all personnel matters
- Uphold the firm's principles, business controls, ethics, policies and procedures and professional standards
- Demonstrable employment law advisory and litigation experience (minimum of 10years) gained in private practice, and/or with a large multinational corporate organization
- Excellent organizational, drafting and communication skills (oral and written): commitment to excellence; ability to draft communications easily understandable to clients (whether legal advice, scripts for manager discussions, or broad internal communications); confident and strong project management and presentation skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills: ability to build and maintain strong relationships with relevant business groups within the firm; ability to work with a team of diverse individuals; ability to work collaboratively and as part of a Legal team that is dispersed geographically
- Highly motivated and proactive; the ability to respond calmly, creatively and quickly in a fast-paced, high-pressure, changing environment; takes ownership of large-scale projects and has a strong work ethic
- Excellent judgment and ability to assess risks; ability to take firm positions to protect the firm's interests; keen business acumen
ABOUT GOLDMAN SACHS
The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. is a leading global investment banking, securities and investment management firm that provides a wide range of financial services to a substantial and diversified client base that includes corporations, financial institutions, governments and individuals. Founded in 1869, the firm is headquartered in New York and maintains offices in all major financial centers around the world.
© The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc., 2018. All rights reserved Goldman Sachs is an equal employment/affirmative action employer Female/Minority/Disability/Vet.
See Inside the Office of Goldman Sachs
The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. is a leading global investment banking, securities, and investment management firm that provides a wide range of financial services to a substantial and diversified client base that includes corporations, financial institutions, governments, and individuals. Founded in 1869, the firm is headquartered in New York and maintains offices in all major financial centers around the world.
Back to top