Legal - Employment Law Group - Vice President
Who We Are
The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. is a leading global financial services firm providing investment banking,securities and investment management services to a substantial and diversified client base that includes corporations, financial institutions, governments and high-net-worth individuals. The firm isheadquartered in New York and maintains offices in London, Frankfurt, Tokyo, Hong Kong and other major financial centers around the world
We work at the intersection of finance and law, providing counsel and advice that support activities across the firm. We handle litigation and arbitration, perform research and due diligence, aid in financing and legal filings, deal with contracts and intellectual property rights that show our commitment to clients, shareholders, and regulators. Whether you're an experienced attorney or a quick learner with a strong interest in financial law coupled with critical thinking skills, our dynamic group might be right for you.
Within Legal Finance & Operations, the Operations team focuses extensively on the processing and payment of external vendor fees but not limited to consulting, outside counsel and staff augmentation. This team also is also the front-end administration of the matter management and e-billing system used for those invoices.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS
The Employment Law Group (ELG) provides legal support to all divisions across the firm, in particular, the Human Capital Management Division (HCM). Working closely with HCM, ELG provides advice and strategic input to the handling of employee relations matters as well as providing support and advice in relation to (amongst other things) the firm's benefits and mobility programs, compensation, diversity, recruitment, acquisitions and divestitures.
The ELG Attorney will provide expert legal support in the handling of personnel matters in India (Bengaluru and Mumbai offices).
- Handling employment-related disputes, including managing external counsel where appropriate and coordinating with appropriate internal teams.
- Responsibility for drafting and reviewing employment documentation such as offer letters, severance letters, restrictive covenants, workplaces rules and policies.
- Review and ensure timely filing and compliances of certain labour law filings such as under the Shops and Commercial Establishments Act, Contract Labour Act, etc.
- Responding to labour law notices, meeting with jurisdictional labour authorities, as required.
- Review and monitor employment law developments in areas of coverage and address potential impact on the firm.
- Review and advise on staffing aspects of mergers, acquisitions and other corporate transactions
- Liaison and coordination with other relevant groups throughout the firm, including Legal, Compliance, Tax, Compensation Accounting etc. and ensuring that Goldman Sachs standards are incorporated into the handling of all personnel matters
- Uphold the firm's principles, business controls, ethics, policies and procedures and professional standards
- Demonstrable labour law advisory experience gained in private practice with a law firm, and/or with a large multinational corporate organization for a minimum of 6 to 7 years.
- Excellent organizational, drafting and communication skills (oral and written): commitment to excellence; ability to draft communications easily understandable to clients (whether legal advice, scripts for manager discussions, or broad internal communications); confident and strong presentation skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills: ability to build and maintain strong relationships with relevant business groups within the firm; ability to work with a team of diverse individuals; ability to work collaboratively and as part of a Legal team and with HCM colleagues that is/are dispersed geographically.
- Highly motivated and proactive; the ability to respond calmly, creatively and quickly in a fast-paced, high-pressure, changing environment; takes ownership of projects and has a strong work ethic.
- Excellent judgment and ability to assess risks; ability to take firm positions to protect the firm's interests; keen business acumen
- LLB degree from a recognized Indian university.
ABOUT GOLDMAN SACHS
The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. is a leading global investment banking, securities and investment management firm that provides a wide range of financial services to a substantial and diversified client base that includes corporations, financial institutions, governments and individuals. Founded in 1869, the firm is headquartered in New York and maintains offices in all major financial centers around the world.
© The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc., 2018. All rights reserved Goldman Sachs is an equal employment/affirmative action employer Female/Minority/Disability/Vet.
See Inside the Office of Goldman Sachs
The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. is a leading global investment banking, securities, and investment management firm that provides a wide range of financial services to a substantial and diversified client base that includes corporations, financial institutions, governments, and individuals. Founded in 1869, the firm is headquartered in New York and maintains offices in all major financial centers around the world.
Back to top