Legal, Employment Law Group, Executive Director, London
WHO WE ARE
The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. is a leading global investment banking, securities and investment management firm that provides a wide range of financial services to a substantial and diversified client base that includes corporations, financial institutions, governments and high-net-worth individuals. Founded in 1869, the firm is headquartered in New York and maintains offices in London, Frankfurt, Tokyo, Hong Kong and other major financial centres around the world.
THE LEGAL DEPARTMENT
The Goldman Sachs Legal department spans offices across 23 cities worldwide, from which we provide counsel and advice to support the global activities of the firm and our clients. Our focus is on providing the highest quality legal advice while managing regulatory and reputational risk. Whether you are an experienced lawyer or have other relevant experience combined with an interest in financial law and strong critical thinking skills, our team might be right for you.
OUR DEPARTMENT CULTURE
As a department we are focused on our people and their development and are committed to creating an environment that is diverse and inclusive. We offer numerous training and career development opportunities including a weekly legal training programme, department mentoring schemes and a people development committee tasked with providing tangible tools to help manage and develop careers. The department also has a number of active and varied committees including the Diversity, Pro Bono, Charity and Social Committees and encourages participation in the Women's, Black and LGBT firmwide affinity networks.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS
The Employment Law Group (ELG) provides legal support to all divisions across the firm. ELG is responsible for all employment related litigation, including regulatory matters. Working closely with the Human Capital Management (HCM)Division, ELG provides advice and strategic input to the handling of employee relations matters as well as providing support and advice in relation to (amongst other things) the firm ' s benefits and mobility programs, compensation, diversity, recruitment, acquisitions and divestitures.
- Handling employment-related disputes, including managing external counsel where appropriate and coordinating with appropriate internal teams
- Responsibility for drafting and reviewing employment documentation such as offer letters, severance letters, workplace rules and policies
- Review and monitor employment law developments in areas of coverage and address potential impact on the firm's HCM strategy
- Review and advise on staffing aspects of mergers, acquisitions and other corporate transactions
- Coordination with other relevant groups throughout the firm, including Legal, Compliance, Tax and ensuring that Goldman Sachs standards are incorporated into the handling of all personnel matters
- Uphold the firm ' s principles, business controls, ethics, policies and procedures and professional standards
- Demonstrable Employment law advisory and litigation experience (minimum of 6 years) gained in private practice, and/or with a large multinational corporate organization. UK qualifications are essential but experience of the labour law framework across Europe is advantageous.
- Financial services experience would be beneficial, including a familiarity with the regulatory rulesets concerning SMCR and PRA/FCA remuneration codes, as well as an interest in regulatory developments and themes.
- Excellent organizational, drafting and communication skills (oral and written): commitment to excellence; ability to draft communications easily understandable to clients (whether legal advice, scripts for manager discussions, or broad internal communications); confident and strong project management and presentation skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills: ability to build and maintain strong relationships with relevant business groups within the firm; ability to work with a team of diverse individuals; ability to work collaboratively and as part of a Legal team that is dispersed geographically
- Highly motivated and proactive; the ability to respond calmly, creatively and quickly in a fast-paced, high-pressure, changing environment; takes ownership of large-scale projects and has a strong work ethic
- Excellent judgment and ability to assess risks; ability to take firm positions to protect the firm's interests; keen business acumen Goldman Sachs is an equal opportunity employer.
ABOUT GOLDMAN SACHS
The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. is a leading global investment banking, securities and investment management firm that provides a wide range of financial services to a substantial and diversified client base that includes corporations, financial institutions, governments and individuals. Founded in 1869, the firm is headquartered in New York and maintains offices in all major financial centers around the world.
© The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc., 2019. All rights reserved Goldman Sachs is an equal employment/affirmative action employer Female/Minority/Disability/Vet.
Back to top