Legal Division, Commodities Lawyer, Associate/VP, London
WHO WE ARE
The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. is a leading global investment banking, securities and investment management firm that provides a wide range of financial services to a substantial and diversified client base that includes corporations, financial institutions, governments and high-net-worth individuals. Founded in 1869, the firm is headquartered in New York and maintains offices in London, Frankfurt, Tokyo, Hong Kong and other major financial centres around the world.
THE LEGAL DEPARTMENT
The Goldman Sachs Legal department spans offices across 23 cities worldwide, from which we provide counsel and advice to support the global activities of the firm and our clients. Our focus is on providing the highest quality legal advice while managing regulatory and reputational risk. Whether you are an experienced lawyer or have other relevant experience combined with an interest in financial law and strong critical thinking skills, our team might be right for you.
OUR DEPARTMENT CULTURE
As a department we are focused on our people and their development and are committed to creating an environment that is diverse and inclusive. We offer numerous training and career development opportunities including a weekly legal training programme, department mentoring schemes and a people development committee tasked with providing tangible tools to help manage and develop careers. The department also has a number of active and varied committees including the Diversity, Pro Bono, Charity and Social Committees and encourages participation in the Women's, Black and LGBT firmwide affinity networks.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS
BUSINESS UNIT AND ROLE OVERVIEW
The position will provide an opportunity to gain an in depth understanding of the workings of legal agreements and their use in the areas of Commodity transactions as well as a chance to expand customer liaison skills. The successful applicant will be part of a small, professional team and have the opportunity to liaise with people at all levels and in all areas of the firm, outside counsel and our counterparts.
Any member of the legal team is expected to be pro-active in guiding the business on legal matters and substantial transactional involvement will be a feature of this position. In particular, the following responsibilities are key:
- Providing legal support to the commodities trading business (namely, derivatives, securities and physical transactions of energy, emissions, precious metals, gas, power, coal, base metals, freight and agricultural product underlyers);
- Providing legal support for the negotiation of commodity physical and financial pre-payment arrangements, inventory financing arrangements and other funding initiatives for commodities-related clients;
- Responsibility for drafting, reviewing and negotiating transaction documentation;
- Working with teams on structuring issues and regulatory/reputational concerns;
- Responsibility for relationships with external counsel in the Commodities space;
- Interacting with the commodity sales teams and traders to address legal issues as they arise in day-to-day trading activities;
- Reviewing, monitoring and driving implementation of regulatory developments relating to commodities (financial, physical and commodity-specific);
- Liaising and coordinating with other relevant groups throughout the firm, including other members of the legal department, credit, treasury, compliance, controllers, operations, tax;
- Involvement in reviews of new markets and new products.
SKILLS / EXPERIENCE
- We are looking for a candidate who is a good team player, dynamic and capable of working proactively on a wide range of issues in a fast-paced environment.
- 2-4 years PQE
- UK, US or EU qualified
- Experience gained in private practice or in-house involving physical commodities, financing of physical commodities and associated derivative master documentation preferred;
- Proven excellent organizational skills and attention to detail, even under pressure;
- Ability to grasp commercial concepts and solution-oriented approach;
- Good interpersonal and communications skills;
- Enthusiasm and interest in commodities and related financial markets;
- Willingness to cover a multiplicity of product areas.
ABOUT GOLDMAN SACHS
The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. is a leading global investment banking, securities and investment management firm that provides a wide range of financial services to a substantial and diversified client base that includes corporations, financial institutions, governments and individuals. Founded in 1869, the firm is headquartered in New York and maintains offices in all major financial centers around the world.
© The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc., 2020. All rights reserved Goldman Sachs is an equal employment/affirmative action employer Female/Minority/Disability/Vet.
Back to top