Legal, Business Intelligence Group (BIG), Associate
MORE ABOUT THIS JOB
LEGALWe work at the intersection of finance and law, providing counsel and advice that support activities across the firm. We handle litigation and arbitration, perform research and due diligence, aid in financing and legal filings, deal with contracts and intellectual property rights that show our commitment to clients, shareholders, and regulators. Whether you're an experienced attorney or a quick learner with a strong interest in financial law coupled with critical thinking skills, our dynamic group might be right for you.
The Business Intelligence Group (BIG) is an advisory group that conducts research and due diligence focused on legal, regulatory, and reputational risk. BIG supports certain of the firm's business lines and the firm's committees in their efforts to make fully informed commercial and reputational risk management decisions. These business lines include banking, principal investments and certain asset management businesses.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS
Job Summary & Responsibilities
- Conduct legal, regulatory and financial due diligence to assess reputational risk in a variety of transactions and business relationships. Considerations include FCPA/anti-bribery compliance, environmental and social responsibility concerns, geo-political risk, financial irregularities, litigation risk, etc. Clients include revenue-generating departments across all divisions of the firm, as well as areas within the Federation.
- Identify and evaluate risk-relevant information from sources, including but not limited to: online media, proprietary databases, regulatory lists, public filings, litigation records, research reports, various internet sources.
- Review and analyze various independent reports on internal controls, quality of earnings, environmental impact, regulatory compliance, etc.
- Analyze financial statements and public filings to evaluate potential areas of concern.
- Prepare summary and presentation materials for analysis by relevant business areas and firmwide committees.
- Provide oversight for analyst reviews of certain business relationships and lead calls to provide feedback/analysis to representatives of the applicable business area.
- Responsible for developing relevant industry/regional expertise and anticipating potential reputational risks.
- Liaise with internal and external legal counsel on issues which merit further due diligence.
- Other special projects on an ad hoc basis.
- 3-5 years related work experience.
- Accounting, legal/regulatory, compliance or other financial experience.
- Excellent analytical and communication skills (both oral and written).
- Risk assessment, preferably involving legal, regulatory and/or compliance issues.
- Strong technical proficiency and experience in online research and databases preferred.
- General experience dealing with the investment banking industry and knowledge of various types of investing and lending transactions.
- CPA, CFA, CFE designations a plus.
- Foreign language skills are a plus, especially Spanish and/or Portuguese. Any work experience dealing with Latin America is also a plus.
- Demonstrates a strong sense of intellectual curiosity and interest in current events.
- Team player with inherent commercial judgment.
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced and, at times, pressured environment.
ABOUT GOLDMAN SACHS
The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. is a leading global investment banking, securities and investment management firm that provides a wide range of financial services to a substantial and diversified client base that includes corporations, financial institutions, governments and individuals. Founded in 1869, the firm is headquartered in New York and maintains offices in all major financial centers around the world.
© The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc., 2017. All rights reservedGoldman Sachs is an equal employment/affirmative action employer Female/Minority/Disability/Vet.
Meet Some of Goldman Sachs's Employees
Private Wealth Advisor
Sabrina is an entrepreneur within Goldman Sachs’ team-driven culture—mobilizing an elite team of wealth management professionals that help high net-worth individuals identify investment solutions including trusts, endowments, and real estate.
Back to top