Internal Audit, Audit Practices Group (APG), Vice President, New York
The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. is a leading global financial services firm providing investment banking, securities and investment management services to a substantial and diversified client base that includes corporations, financial institutions, governments and high-net-worth individuals. The firm is headquartered in New York and maintains offices around the world.
BUSINESS UNIT AND ROLE OVERVIEW
The primary role of Internal Audit is to help protect the assets, reputation and sustainability of the organization. Internal Audit independently assesses the firm’s internal control structure. We provide assurance that financial reporting is reliable, that there is compliance with applicable laws and regulations and that the firm’s operations are effectively controlled. We assist management in identifying risk and commercially managing risk by providing advice in developing control solutions and monitoring the implementation of management’s control measures.
IA assists the firm’s Board of Directors’ Audit Committee in fulfilling its oversight responsibilities and regularly interacts with the external independent auditors.
Internal Audit is organized into global teams of business and technology auditors:
- Securities – covers the Firm’s Sales, Trading and Insurance businesses; including related supporting control functions such as Operations, Technology, Product Control and Divisional Compliance.
- Investment Banking – covers the firm’s banking activities and Global Investment Research operations.
- Investment Management – covers the firm’s Private Wealth Management, Asset Management and Merchant Banking businesses.
- Corporate – covers the firm’s Risk Management, Finance, Corporate Governance, Legal, Compliance and Regulatory Reporting areas as well as Human Capital Management, Services and the Executive Office.
APG supports the IA department in their delivery of high-quality, consistent and risk-focused assurance work. It achieves this by improving processes to optimize the efficiency and effectiveness with which assurance work is executed, by undertaking quality assurance reviews, driving audit skills training and maintaining audit methodology and policy. APG also acts as the clearing house for methodology-related initiatives through partnership and collaboration with other IA department working groups/initiative.
- Maintain IA’s policies, procedures, and guidance documents, working with Central Compliance to ensure IA is in compliance with GS’s Policy on Policy
- Benchmarking of IA practices against Industry and Regulators standards (e.g. IIA, Basel, FRBNY)
- Lead the project in maintaining the Audit Policies / Methodologies vs. Actual Practice vs. the Tools supporting the process, and implementation recommendation where there are gaps among these silos
- Design, compilation and presentation of the audit training material related to Audit Methodology and Practices
- Support divisional leadership through participation in various department-wide initiatives on auditing methodology/practices
- Provision of administrative support to APG Leadership in the compilation of APG/QA metrics/data used for quarterly reporting to the IA global leadership team
- Ad hoc project work on new IA processes or activities
- Advisory – providing advice on audit practices and procedures to the audit group
Basic Qualifications- Undergraduate degree, with solid financial management and audit training
- Minimum 7 plus years of experience in either public accounting or Internal Audit
- Professional audit certifications preferred, CIA is a plus
- Demonstrated technical abilities in select areas, audit, accounting, regulatory, compliance, etc.
- Experience with internal audit practice policies within a large financial services corporation
- Knowledge of IIA standards; SEC/regulatory reporting; Sarbanes-Oxley; risk management techniques and compliance requirements
Preferred Qualifications- Ability to think strategically about the internal audit function, its mission and its strategic resources, including attracting highly qualified staff
- Ability to interact professionally to support external auditors and company regulators
- Visionary leader and expert in general management knowledge and skills such as departmental goal setting and planning, budgeting and personnel administration
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship building skills, including the ability to work across the organization and interact/influence/negotiate effectively at all levels of management and peers
- Proven track record of achieving results through collaboration and teamwork
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills along with experience collaborating with external auditors, consultants and other internal customers
Goldman Sachs is an equal employment/affirmative action employer Female/Minority/Disability/Vet. © The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc., 2015. All rights reserved.
Back to top