IMD - Finance and Strategy – Analyst
MORE ABOUT THIS JOB
We're a team of trusted advisors who provide innovative investment solutions to help our clients meet their financial goals. From private wealth to asset management, we work with specialists and groups from around the firm to help high-net-worth individuals and institutions across various industries navigate changing markets and make smart investments. We value self-starters with an entrepreneurial spirit, but still provide the support and resources to ensure your success.
Goldman Sachs Investment Management Division ("IMD") is a leading asset management and private wealth management business. IMD offers a broad product line consisting of all asset classes and maintains a global distribution platform designed to serve a diverse client base of institutions and individuals. Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer of IMD, the Finance and Strategy team collaborates closely with senior management on projects impacting the growth and profitability of the division as a whole, as well as with the leadership of IMD's business units on specific financial issues and strategic initiatives.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS
Duties & Responsibilities:
The work of the Finance and Strategy team is primarily project based, with typical durations spanning a few days to several months. Projects vary in nature, and require team members to add financial and strategic insight to assist management in resolving issues that many large companies typically face. The Finance and Strategy Analyst is expected to actively participate in projects and develop expertise in the data, financial systems and operating infrastructure, establish relationships throughout the business, and communicate results effectively. Some recent projects and analyses include:
- Presentation on IMD's financials, strategy, risk management and product performance for GS Board
- Benchmarking of operating results vs. key industry competitors
- Marginal profitability analysis to support pricing of new mandates
- Regular reporting and analysis of fully allocated profitability by business
- P&L forecasting for current and future years, including firmwide budget process
- Financial analysis of Growth Markets and other divisional initiatives
- Compensation strategy and analysis
- Tracking and analysis of sales, investment performance, and productivity
- Active management of IMD's expense policy and savings initiatives
- Stress test forecasting, modeling, and analysis for firmwide Comprehensive Capital Analysis Review (CCAR)
- Ideal candidates will have strong quantitative and analytical skills, be detail-oriented and proficient in building and handling complicated models
- Candidates must demonstrate an ability to effectively communicate and present results highlighting the broader commercial and strategic impact
- Candidates must be extremely proactive and work well in a team environment, with the ability to excel as part of small project teams
- Candidates should be comfortable developing relationships throughout the firm and building networks within the division as well as with the federation areas
- All team members are required to work with significant volumes of data and systems.
- Upon joining the team, candidates should expect a challenging, fast-paced environment that will require the ability to focus on and deliver multiple projects effectively
Preferred candidates will possess:
- 1+ years of financial services or related work experience
- Experience with large data sets, technology and exposure to Asset Management, Management Consulting or Investment Banking industries a plus
- Computer science background / programming experience a plus
ABOUT GOLDMAN SACHS
The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. is a leading global investment banking, securities and investment management firm that provides a wide range of financial services to a substantial and diversified client base that includes corporations, financial institutions, governments and individuals. Founded in 1869, the firm is headquartered in New York and maintains offices in all major financial centers around the world.
© The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc., 2017. All rights reservedGoldman Sachs is an equal employment/affirmative action employer Female/Minority/Disability/Vet.
Meet Some of Goldman Sachs's Employees
Software Engineer, Equities
Using a variety of languages, like Java and Python, Kelsey designs and builds integrated software applications used in Goldman Sachs’ equities business.
Back to top